1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Foot pedal tuner question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Suatie, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Hı I am a new player, I am trying hard to learn to play my fretless. It is unlined so kind of hard to hit the notes spot on, my question is :

Can I use a floor pedal tuner which is fast enough that I can see how far off the note I was while I am playing?

I use my snark tuner but it is too slow, uncool stuck on the headstock and awkward to look at it.

Any recommendations will be most welcome, I only play at home with friends so gigability (is that a word?) is not an issue.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Not sure if it'll work, but I must say, an unlined fretless is not the best option to learn on. Using your ear is the easiest way toi know if you're playing the notes right.

3. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Most tuners, if not all, will be to slow for that. Lessons would help with unlined frettless. You may also want to try adding lines then remove them when your better/more confident. Use something removable like chalk or stickers.

4. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    My pitchblack is very fast. I have a Line 6 G50 and it has a separate line out for the tuner so the tuner can be on all the time

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Turbo Tuner is fast enough, and easy to read.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    +1

the turbo is the only one fast enough. you'll need a way to split the signal so the tuner is on while the sound is on too, but it's worth it.

i have turbos on my pedalboards (bass and guitar) set up this way, and i can use the turbo in the middle of songs to visually see how in-tune my guitar string-bends are!

7. 45acp

45acp

Feb 5, 2013
    Texarkana TX
    Go to autozone (or other parts store) and get a roll of thin pinstripe.

8. I have fretted basses too, but I love the feel and challenge of the fretless. And as I am alone noodling most of the time, missing the notes is not a huge deal, but I want to get better and train my ears.

Turbo Tuner is the way to go then.

Thanks for all the tips.

9. I assume we are talking about the ST200. It is $140 at amazon but everybody seem to think it is worth every penny.

In the description it says it mutes when it is on, so I will have to send it a split signal from the bass as suggested above.

Can I connect the bass to the head and use the send of the amp to connect the turbo Tuner without the return?

10. İs there any other way to see and visually monitor the notes being played as they are played?
    I remember seeing somewhere that Tascam made a recorder of some sort that could also show the notes in music being played, but I can't seem to find any info on it.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    TC Polytune is 99.5% as fast as the Turbo Tuner and costs about half as much. Plus, it's a polytuner.

12. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    the best solution is to have IEM's so you can hear yourself well. Looking down at the tuner does not seem pratical

13. What are IEMs?

14. In Ear Monitor!!!!

15. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    yep, I have an Electric Upright gig tonight and the IEM in one ear works great. It's really tough to look in 2 directions at once. Hearing is more acurate than eyeing a meter.

16. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    but a quick turner will help you learn where intonation is set in relation to neck dots-etc at home practicing.

17. That is exactly what I am trying to do, to get the innotation dead on, and improve my fingering on the fretless.

I had an email exchange with Turbo Tuner people, and it seems the ST- 122a model might be better for me as it is always on and I can also use it acoustically.

18. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    sorry, I thought you meant live.

19. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the 122a would indeed let you just run the signal through it, but it won't give you the big letter note name like the 200 will. it's also more suited to bench use and acoustic tuning. (i have a couple of the earlier version, the 122, and they rock just like the pedal version, of which i also have a couple; i won't use anything else, either at work or on the gig)

i think you could indeed use the effects send from your amp, or even just a Y-cable after another buffered pedal (or even right off the bass if it's active) to send a signal to the tuner that's separate from the main signal.

and no way is the polytune anywhere near as fast as the turbo.

20. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    Why don't more tuners have an 'always on' mode. still mute with switch?