Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Football withdrawal support thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jive1, Mar 30, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Yup, the football season has been over for months now, but I miss it dearly. The empty feeling on the Sunday after the Pro-Bowl has not gone away. I miss football, and can't wait until the season starts. Right now, I'm looking forward to the draft in the same way an alcoholic eyes a flat half can of Strohs after being dry for weeks.

Anybody else?

2. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    jive,

The start of the training season, to me, is just the start of the countdown to when Grossman gets hurt. Again.

:p

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The home team here is the Detroit Lions. So it's kind of a blessing to have that torture muted for a while. Besides the Lions, there's the underachieving Michigan Wolverines, or the hot, then cold, then hot again Spartans at State.

A mixed blessing. Pro-sports, I'm kinda gettin' bored with it. Even with the Pistons winnin' it all last year.

Both Spartan basketball teams (Men & Women's teams) are in the Final Four, and I'm underwhelmed.

4. I'm not quite missing football yet, prolly around July/August the bug will hit though. I need more time to "miss" it, I guess.

For now, I'm watching international football, aka soccer. U.S. takes on Guatemala tonight, woohoo.

I'm also a big basketball fan, so right now I'm caught up watching the end of the season.

5. Detroit has got a long way to go before they even make the playoffs, you should be happy the Spartans are where they are...it might not get much better than that for a long time.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Jive,

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I am football STARVED! Me and buddies were getting out and playing some flag football, but that doesn't do the trick.

Let me just say that I have read every single article at cnnsi.com, espn.com, nfl.com, dallascowboys.com, and profootballweekly.com. I know Ronnie Edwards' 40 time, I know Aaron Rodgers' vertical. I know that Marco Rivera felt guilty about his Cowboys signing bonus since he was injured. I know that Minnesota made some good moves, and how each pundit ranks their off-season as opposed to others. I know that Cleveland hasn’t done too much yet. I know that the 49ers might try and pick up Phillip Rivers. I love football.

You know one thing that has helped? I read “When the Game Stands Tall” by Neil Hayes. It’s a story about the high school I went to, De La Salle in Concord, CA. They had a 151 game win streak from 1991-2004. They were USA Today’s #1 team for more years than I can think of. It’s a great book, although I may have enjoyed it more since it was my alma-mater. Either way, pick it up, check it out, and enjoy the read. While many were jealous of the school, or simply didn’t understand it, the book does a great job of uncovering the secrets to the school’s success. When you finish the book, it’ll be time for the NFL draft, and then we can start a draft thread!

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Chicago has done next to nothing to secure the QB position. What are they thinking?

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't know about that. Their division is weak. Minnesota will be improved, so they will probably win the division, but Green Bay might be a 7-9 team this year. Chicago will have to rely, probably, upon someone like Chad Hutchinson...

Detroit could be okay.

9. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    The same thing they always have. You know who the top passer in the last three decades in Bears history is? Erik Kramer.

If they haven't learned from watching Favre tear them up and carrying his team on his arm, they won't ever learn.

I'm hoping the Bears can pick up someone form the June 1st cuts.

10. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    I see I'm not the only one.
    It seems that lots of rumors are coming out of the football starved, and sports writers who are struggling to come up with anything of significance.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Check out the NFL Network if it is available in your area. I find myself watching it daily. They repeat some shows a little too much, but it is still great. I like the former players they have on.

Everyone has started playing baseball and basketball around these parts, so I am stuck with playing Madden when I want to play football.

-Mike

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Tell me about it. There really is no news, and yet they're producing news daily!

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    England 2 - 0 Azerwhatever....

Thank you, I'm going to the pub.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Since we're talking football.....I can't wait until the 2005 schedule is released. I hope that weasel Jim Haslett has to make a trip to Heinz Field. He needs some payback for that crap he said about the Steelers last week.

-Mike

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    What if it was true?

16. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I feel the same way. I check ESPN, NFL, and Packer Plus online every day just to get some info. I can't get enough.

Packers 7-9? No way. Favre's coming back. Their O-line will be fine. Their defense might struggle, but with Jim Bates as their new D Coordinator, they couldn't possibly be worse on defense than they were last year.

And did I mention Favre's returning?

Season can't start fast enough for me.

17. Well, it's been documented that steroids were used by a number of players on the San Diego Chargers in the 60's and spread across the country in that way, so that's at least one false thing he said.

I'm totally missing football too. The Steelers loss at the hands of the Patriots has left me with a bad taste in my mouth since January, and there's nothing to be done about it. I can't wait for the draft.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It wasn't. He even apologized later for saying it. Damage has been done. Haslett has a target on his back.

I don't want to turn this into a steroids discussion. I'm not dumb, I know players used steroids. Players on the Steelers used them too, I know. But for Haslett to come out and say the reason why Pittsburgh was so good in the 70's is because they were on steroids is stupid. Indicating that the Steelers organization pioneered the use of steroids in the NFL is just as dumb. He shall pay, one way or another. :mad:

-Mike

19. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Don't have cable or a TV. I go to the bar to watch games. Though at this point I might break down and get one just so I can watch ESPN classic or the NFL network.

Think you can you vidcap a Madden game onto avi/mpeg and send it to me? I'm really getting desperate. :D

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, let me send over some tape of you getting your butt whipped on some TECMO too. :D

-Mike