1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Footie Talk

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Did anyone else see the Tottenham - Charlton Athletic match today? Holy cow, Charlton never showed up! 5 -1! Btw, RED DEVILS, BABEEEEEEEE!

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Charlton letting the fans down you say? Never in the world! :ninja:

3. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Did my fantasy football team no harm at all :)

I have Berbatov. Its about time he started lol

4. Dang, I was all ready to chime in on this...

5. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I'm more of a Bundesliga and Serie A kind of guy myself since MLS is impossible to get into over here. There are some good local clubs though.

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  7. I was told the other day Clint Dempsey has signed on with Fulham. Dempsey is one of my favorite US national players, so I hope he does well in Fulham (especially since my hometown MLS team Houston Dynamo kicked his ass in the MLS final! :D ).

As far as epl/champions league goes, I'm a liverpool fan. :cool:

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    The Blues and Gunners seem to be getting at it pretty good, inspite of some stupid passes from the Arsenal defenders. I highly suspect one of those passes are going to bite 'em in the arse.

9. floopy

floopy

Mar 18, 2006
    Essien's goal yesterday was about as good as Matthew Taylor's, though he did have a lot of space and time to line it up:

Chelsea are so difficult to beat, both against Man U and Arsenal once they went down they came back even stronger.

I'd rather United won the league, but respect to Chelski for the fighting spirit.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    That match was great! As much as I hate Chelsea, I've gotta admit it: Essien is a beast!!! That was a wicked equalizer! I don't think that Drogba is fully fit.

11. floopy

floopy

Mar 18, 2006
    You're right, I heard Drogba has a hamstring problem. Plus Shevchenko currently has a 'being useless' problem :)

Gilberto Silva was awesome for Arsenal, though they were still a little lucky to get the draw.

12. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    As a Milan fan, I'd like to see Sheva back with Milan. ;) We'll see what Mourinho pulls once the transfer window comes around.

13. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I really don't understand Mourinho's fascination with playing Lampard, Ballack, Essien and Makelele in the same midfield. It always seems to add up to far less than the sum of the parts, and they remain clogged up in the center.

Chelsea has looked far better with Robben and even SWP playing as legitmate wingers (with Essien playing RB, from whence he scored that cracker).

Also, as much as Shevschenko has failed to get going, what has Ballack done to warrant starting every game?

14. floopy

floopy

Mar 18, 2006
    I think that would be a good move for him, he doesn't look to have the pace required for the style of football in England, and he looks frustrated that he can't get into the game.

I think Chelsea pack the midfield to try and keep the game tight - and if Drogba can get them a 1-0, that's good enough for them. But yes there are much better when Robben and SWP give them some width.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    I don't get Ballack starting every game either. :confused: Btw, Wright-Phillips looked way out of sorts yesterday. What's his deal? When I was over there, he was the subject of a few transfer rumours. Maybe that's weighing on his mind.

16. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    The deal is that he lacks match fitness. Mourinho has hardly used him at all this season.

17. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I have the hardest time making up my mind if this is the result I wanted.

This is why:
    1. I hate Chel$kie and don´t want them to win the league
    2. I hate ManUSA and don´t want them to win the league
    3. I´m just so-so against Arsenal but I didn´t want them to win because then they would have gone into third place, above Liverpool.

As much as I would have liked to see Chel$kie lose the game yesterday, I actually think the best result was a draw. Of two evils I think I´d handle it a little better to see ManUSA win the PL ahead of Chel$kie, they need to be taught a lesson!

Since the game drawed, Chel$kie is now 8(they have played 1 game less then ManUSA though) points behind ManUSA instead of 5 like they could have been if they´d won the game.
    Also Arsenal did not go above Liverpool, so I think that the draw was the best possible result for me :)

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    I hope you're not hoping the Scousers win the EPL! :p

19. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I´ll give the Red devils the EPL championship, we´ll just clean up the Champions League, the FA cup and the Carling cup :hyper: ;)

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1 on that, they'd do well to have a bit of space to move about in in the midfield!