Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Footprints..Live!

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Marcus Johnson, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Been listening to Wayne's new one a lot lately. Great band, recorded very nicely in concert, engineered by Rob Griffin. John Patitucci is in a very supportive role here, only one short solo at the end. Wayne just sounds great.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Great album, indeed!
    The playing is more "out" than I expected though!
    Almost free at moments.
    Shorter's compositions are always very intriguing and beautiful.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I heard an interview with Shorter and the "Footprints" band on NPR this week.

I wonder how they manage to get any music out. They seem to spend as much time trying to crack each other up.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Brain Blade is certainly a "vocal" drummer (you can hear him throughout the CD). Apparently that kinda through Wayne for a loop at first. Imagine Brian Blade playing with Keith Jarrett...you wouldn't hear a note they played!

5. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    That's a great album, also check out the new Herbie Hancock, Michael Bracker and Roy Hargrove album the rythm section is also Brian Blade and John Patitucci recorded only a few months apart, also a live album, it has sort of the same vibe.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Brian Blade is one of my favorite drummers in jazz right now.........he is also on the new Charlie Haden/ Michael Brecker C.D. American Dreams.

7. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I saw Brian Blade play with Bill Frisell and Viktor Krauss about 1.5 years ago here in Portland and it was amazing. Blade is incredible to watch, he makes it look as if everything is completely improvised in the sense that nothing sounds programmatic or 'practiced', just reflexive, off the cuff, and very alive. I have half a mind to buy everything he's done...and Krauss complimented him quite well...it was almost as if Krauss was holding down the rhythm while Blade toyed with it...

8. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA

Can someone tell me the name of this album? Thanks!

9. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Herbie Hancock/Michael Brecker/Roy Hargrove:
    - Directions In Music: Live At Massey Hall

A wonderful CD!

jd

10. lermgalieu: Careful. I saw Brian Blade's band at a jazz fest last year, not what I expected. Mostly down-tempo groove type stuff.

He is definitely one of my favorite drummers. I've seen him twice (both times w/Wayne), he just killed me both times.

Mr. Shorter is probably my favorite composer. Go Wayne!!

11. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I saw this quartet at the Barbican in London a couple of months ago. I can honestly say I was utterly mesmorized for 2.5 hours. I've since bought the CD but havent had a great deal of time to listen to it yet.

They came on and started playing. I was in awe. They stopped playing and I realized I hadnt moved for 45 minutes!

As far as I could tell Brian Blade didnt play a single bar of 'time' for the entire gig, yet the groove could still be felt.
    I now know why Pattitucci is held in such high regard, his feel and tone and rhythm is utterly impecable. I've still not heard his solo material, and this was the 1st time I'd seen him play live.
    Danilo Perez was great too, I bought his latest CD as a result of seeing this band too. As a rhythm section those three were just unbelievable, I could hear the interplay between them, i.e. I could hear bass take a note from piano and a beat from drums and do something new, then piano take something from bass and drums... the constantly evolving texture of the sound was just mind blowing. Utterly amazing.

All that topped with Shorter just standing there listening for ten minutes, then coming in with something I could have never have imagined in a million years, yet that sounded so right.

I love listening to jazz, but live is almost infinitley better than on CD.

12. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    I saw them in Gothenburg concert hall, about a year ago. I wasn't too pleased with the performance. Wayne Shorter seemed drunk and I don't think his playing was as good as you'd expect. As someone said Brian Blade didn't play time at any point, and to be quite frank, there wasn't much of a groove.... Might not just be my bag..dunno..

/lovebown

13. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Drunk?!! What makes you say that? I reckon he's just very old!

When I said Blade didnt play 'time' I meant that he didnt play one bar the same as the next, he played constant complex rhythms and accents. I cant pretend to understand what they were doing, but I could tune in enough to feel and hear the improvisation. I loved it!

14. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Whatever gets your boat floating... I'd rather have saved the money for another occasion.
    /lovebown

15. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yeah, it was expensive I'll give you that. £28 a ticket and I was sat in the circle!

16. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    a buddy of mine saw this group and this was his exact complaint.

17. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Yeah.. on the other hand I've heard a few people who said they were groovin like hell when they saw them - of course not in the regular 4 on the floor way, but I think it can change a lot from performance to performance.

Generally speaking IME, jazz played in clubs (regardless of who's playing) tend to be alot 'looser' and a lot of time in the concerts hall you'll get a stiffer feeling.

/lovebown

18. Howard, you're one cruel Mother...Wayne Shorter isn't " just very old" Jeesh!!