1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Footswitch-Enabled Dual-Output Expression Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wallower, May 15, 2018.

1. Wallower

Wallower Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2016
    NYC
    While there appear to be a number of options for dual-output expression pedals, it seems the world could use an expression pedal that can easily be toggled between 2 outputs with an integrated toe switch. It even seems this has been done in the past (e.g., Google turns up some old listings for a discontinued "Nose Pedals" offering).

But as far as I can tell, no one is currently building such a thing. The Expressionator does the trick (and more) with a separate unit, which I'd like to avoid. Source Audio's Reflex (which I'm currently using) is okay but unfortunately requires 3 actions by hand (a button press, a dial turn, and then another button press) to toggle between outputs. That's a bit cumbersome onstage. The 4E dual axis expression pedal looks amazing, but is large, expensive, and questionable whether even still in production.

Anyone know of something I'm missing? Or any recommendations for a custom build?

2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Do you have any MIDI options to use with the Reflex? I realize that might require a bit of extra gear, but on some level it would be a pretty simple solution.

3. Wallower

Aug 1, 2016
    NYC
    Am using Reflex with 2 H9s, so can go either midi or analog, but yeah would still need an extra controller/switch to, e.g., toggle the Reflex's presets. For my own likely neurotic reasons, just always looking to streamline as much as possible. An option I've considered is a simple A/B box to toggle a single expression pedal's output between pedals. But curious to me that none of the mainstream manufacturers appear to offer anything with that functionality incorporated into the pedal.

4. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    It may not be convenient for what you want to do, but I believe you can actually wire the H9 to send MIDI PC out to the Reflex. Change H9 preset --> change Reflex preset. Or there are relatively small MIDI PC changing boxes out there, like the Disaster Area DMC Micro.

5. Wallower

Aug 1, 2016
    NYC
    Thanks and interesting. Never thought about having H9 presets send a program change to the Reflex, certainly a possible work-around. Those micro midi boxes are pretty slick too, but alas my board has no space remaining, and this exercise is mostly to avoid setting up any extra gear if possible.

Adamixoye likes this.
  6. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I hear you on the lack of board space! But I would think those are your two best options. I don't know of any expression pedal with an integrated footswitch like you describe.

7. Wallower

Aug 1, 2016
    NYC
    Go figure... you've got me considering a Disaster Area unit after all, as I could then get by with a smaller exp pedal (a la DVP4) at roughly the same footprint as the Reflex. Actually even interested in the 3XL for global tap tempo as well. Though I'm unclear from the manual if (and how) it would be possible to toggle a single expression pedal between the devices hooked up to it via the footswitches. Seems the DMC Micro has a utility mode that might be configured to provide that functionality, but I don't see anything in the 3XL that would do that... looks like you'd need to dig into settings to swap the expression pedal around. If I'm missing anything would appreciate any thoughts.