Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Footswitch help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PaulSimonon, Aug 7, 2005.

1. I'm very confused with my footswitch...

It's a two switch pedal, and it's only switching one thing, and I have to step on the switch twice to get it to change.:confused:

Only switch #1 works on it when the cord is all of the way in, but when I pull the cord out of the jack a bit, switch #2 works while #1 doesn't at all. :confused:

I've checked all of the solders, switches, and the jack. All of the solders are in good condition and make full contact, neither the switches or the jack show any damage.

The same problems occured with another amp, so it's not my amp. I've used several different cords, so it's not my cords.

Does anyone know what's going on? :help:

I'd really like to have it so that the LED's on the switch correspond with the amp so that I can see better on a dark stage (which they don't because you've got to switch it twice to get anything to work...), and so that I can use all of the functions on the amp for easy tonal changes mid-show or even mid-song.

If I've left any information out, tell me what I need to put in.

Feel free to move this to the pickups and electronics or amp forums if it doesn't belong here, I'm assuming since it's pedallike it'll be good here.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    Whats the jack on the footswitch, im assuming its stereo if you have to switch 2 things on/off.

Did the footswitch come with the amp or is it something you bought seperatly? What exactly are you switching, eg in/out etc?

What my guess is that its a mono jack on the footswitch and it needs to be stereo to switch it sucessfully.

Although thats just a guess! :confused:

3. I'm just trying to switch an EQ on and off, and a mid cut on and off. It's a Trace Elliot GP11 preamp.

I came with another amp with which experienced the same problems.

I believe it's a stereo jack, but everything's wired on three prongs on one side, with three open prongs on the other.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It sounds like only one thing is meant to switch on your amp... and footswitch one, when plugged in all the way is attached to the ring, and footswitch two when pulled part of the way out is attached to the tip, so that explains why each switch is only working in one place. If two things are meant to switch, logic tells me that there is a loose conenction somewhere inside your amp.

By the way, I'll move this to amps for ya.

5. Thanks!

I'm taking my head in sometime to get the plastic jacks all replaced, so I'll tell the tech to take a look at that. I don't mind repairing simple circuits, but I don't want to dig around my precious amp...

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Not all footswitches are compatible with all amps and their intended footswitch functions. The owners manual for your amp should specify the layout of its requirement for the wiring of the plug end of the footswitch.