1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Footswitch Issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stefandisgust, Oct 15, 2013.

1. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

May 28, 2006
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Spector Basses-New Artist
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, it would appear the switch you bought is incompatible with the RBI unit. When all else fails, read the manual.

3. +1

To the OP:

You bought a marshall footswitch? The RBI is not build by marshall...

Sayin'

4. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    You need to use a latched footswitch with the RBI. The footswitch should have a solid "click" like a true bypass pedal when you use it.

5. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

May 28, 2006
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Spector Basses-New Artist
    I'm very aware that it's not a Marshall product. The footswitch does click. Their website mentions no tech21 switch that I can buy online. Great

6. IIRC, Fuzzbass says his SWR-IOD switch does not work with RBI either.
    I own the IOD footswitch, and will try it out this weekend with my (new to me) RPM.

7. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    Marshall P801 is a latching switch. You did plug it into the footswitch jack and not the "footswitch out" jack, correct?

8. Many Marshalls use logic state switching (don't use a shorted connection to ground). You could modify the one you have or there are footswitches out there that do truly latch and have a battery supply for the LED inside the footswitch.

9. tech21nyc

Aug 17, 2010
  10. The 801 latches through a 1K resistor in series with the LED, not directly tip to sleeve.

11. tech21nyc

Aug 17, 2010
    I forgot to mention, you can test the RBI. Plug an instrument cable into the footswitch jack and touch the tip to the chassis of the RBI. The unit should switch each time you touch it to the chassis. As the previous poster suggested, make sure you are plugged into the footswitch "jack" and not the footswitch "out."

12. 616slayer616

616slayer616

Oct 17, 2013
    I got the same problem with my RPM.

Thank you for the idea to test it by touching the chassis with an instrument cable .

I tried two footswitches so far. One is an Ampeg AFP-3 which IS a latching one with one stereo and one mono 1/4 jack and LEDs.
    The other one is a Behringer which connects only connects tip and ground as long as you press it.
    The result is that the RPM is active until ich stop pressing the switch

13. Just a word to anyone, just because a footswitch is "latching" does NOT mean the way it is wired electronically is compatible. A latching switch can be "hard" switching or "soft" switching.