1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Footswitch line voltage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ou812, Nov 13, 2018.

1. ou812

ou812

Dec 14, 2013
    I’d like to add an LED to my simple one-button Fender footswitch so I can tell on from off. Simple push on push off for OD on a Rumble. I’m wondering what specs for the LED. I assume low voltage DC? Anyone done this?

2. How do you plan to do this?
    Use a separate power supply attached to the footswitch (with the L.E.D.) and change the switch so it has a separate set of contacts to operate the L.E.D.?

There might be other ways to do this, but I haven't looked into it.
    Foot switches (feet switch?) are usually just a set on contacts that makes, breaks a circuit in the amp.
    Unless you know more about the inner workings of it all, you will need to keep the L.E.D. switching and power separate from the foot switch circuit.

Judging by your question, I assume you don't have much experience in electronics. So it's good that you asked before just jumping in. Could damage the amp if you got it wrong.

I guess my other question would be, is this really worth the trouble? Only you can answer that. But it seems that if you can't tell by ear if the foot switch is in one position or the other, then will an L.E.D. really matter that much?

You have a good idea though about foot switches needing to have some sort of indicator to tell if they are on or off.

Lobster11 likes this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    There are aftermarket foot switches that have a set of switch contacts for the LED, and a battery (with a dropping resistor) to power the LED. You can get one complete for under $20.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  4. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    This is pretty simple electronic project.

The standard footswitch for amps is a single-pole, single throw latching footswitch. You'll have to replace that footswitch with a double-pole, double throw latching type that's commonly used for bypass switching in effects. One pole is used to switch the amp, the other pole is used to switch the LED on and off....

If you're using a 9 volt battery (or 9 VDC from a pedalboard power supply) you'll need to wire a dropping resistor in series with the LED, 1 K Ohm is a good starting value to experiment with. A higher value resistor can be used if the LED is too bright. Remember, LEDs have polarity, the + and - terminals have to be wired correctly or it won't light up.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    If I may barge in on the topic... I need a footswitch. I was told any old switch will work. However, it looks like the amp will only change over with a stereo switch. The one I picked up is mono. It doesn’t work.

What do people tend to use? tia!

6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    What amp is it? Have you checked the owner's manual to see what the manufacturer recommends?

7. ou812

ou812

Dec 14, 2013
    Could you be more specific? I’ve done some searching and haven’t found anything.

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Here is an example of a basic DIY version if you are so inclined. Don't forget about the cost of the box and cable to the amp.

The amp does not supply power to the footswitch so you'd need a battery or external supply.

Fender® Forums: View topic - Simple Project-Footswitch with LED indicator (ideal for BJr)

LED brightness is based on the limiting resistor and the LED. You can experiment with the resistor to adjust the intensity, start with 2K-10K 1/4W or 1/2W (easier to work with).

An LED based on these specs will work but there are lots of options.
    HLMP-3301 Broadcom Limited | Optoelectronics | DigiKey

LED holder:
    HLMP-0103 Broadcom Limited | Optoelectronics | DigiKey

Footswitch-FS1.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    This switch wiring looks wrong. Most foot switches are 2P2T.

10. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes, the 2P2T is what is required.

The 3P2T is common at footpedal supply places (such as Switches, Relays - Stomp Switches - Page 2 - Small Bear Electronics good transistor supplier for vintage pedal designs) and cost is about the same. A part pedal builders may have on hand. Maybe that's why they used that switch.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  11. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Given the cost of building or buying a pedal with an LED and feeding it batteries, it might be easier to simply look at the LED on the amp's panel.