1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

footswitch placement - a brief rant

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nostatic, Mar 5, 2010.

1. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    So they are called stompboxes, meaning you're going to step on them. And they have a footswitch to accomplish said stomping. So why is it that some pedal makers put the switch so close to the knobs that you can't step on the switch without hitting a knob (or toggle switch or other control). I've got size 12 shoes. If you're designing for supermodels or are expecting me to start a footbinding ritual you're sorely mistaken.

One reason I like my Mail Bomb is the switch is all the way at the bottom of the box, away from the knobs.

OK, I feel better now.

Well, not really. I need coffee, then I'll feel better.

2. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    [​IMG]

:D

3. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Florida
    Sometimes it seems pedal makers forget that the pedals main use is for foot stomping and.. other times I think its about trying to make or find the smallest possible encloser to fit on the smallest pedal board and forget some people have Shaqtus size feet.

4. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    At least you got my good side :p

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've actually passed on buying some pedals because of the switch layout. I like a small box as much as the next guy, but some builders just don't get it.

6. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    As long as there's no battery inside doing what you saw on Mail Bomb is SUPER easy to do...
    I started doing it on FUZZROCIOUS builds once I canned battery jawns. I even placed them in the bottom left corner as well when I was doing expression jacks.
    It can be tricky for keeping the pedal upright if pedals aren't on a pedalboard, but IMHO it makes the most sense!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020