Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For $125, I couldn't resist...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Aug 10, 2003.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have a thing for single pickup basses, and I've been looking for a beater. I found this on the 'Bay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

$125 plus $15 shipping. I just plain couldn't resist - I'm turning into a real sucker for flame maple.

I'll probably leave off the pickguard and just use a control plate. I wonder if I can get an EMG to fit that rout? If not, the manufacturer (Custom Shop Parts) makes an inexpensive MM-style pickup.

These guys seem to be the same people that are doing Michael Kelly basses.

2. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Mmmmmm, I'm jealous. Nice find :bassist:

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I like it :D Very cool!

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That thing oozes potential.

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I think so, too - that's why I did it. I found it irresistible!

I'm already running into a problem. Nobody appears to make replacement Stingray control plates. Oops.

I'm torn between going passive with a G&L-type passive two band tone circuit and active with EMGs, Basslines or Barts. Passive could be way cheap, but it could suck, too.

Ideally, I could find an original Stingray pickup from someone that replaced theirs, and try the passive option first.

I can't wait to see it - it looks like a nice piece of rosewood, and the top is certainly pretty. I think the seller was right when he said the body appeared to be ash.

6. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    Make a tracing of a MM plate. Take it to a metals shop; they can probably fabricate it and even chrome it right there. Shouldn't cost too much.

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OK, it's here. Very nice! No gut cut or forearm roll, but that's fine.

I found a source for control plates, but something else came up: the top is routed for a normal MM pickup arrangement, so it looks like I'll need to use a pickguard after all. Opinions?

Black pearl?
    [​IMG]

White?
    [​IMG]

Tort?
    [​IMG]

8. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Black Pearl - hands down, matches the chrome more closely. The white IMO looks cliche. The Tort would be my second choice.

:bassist:

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hmmm. I never thought of it that way - I really like black pearl, but thought it wouldn't work here with all the brown tones. Maybe the control plate is what makes it work here.

I like the tort, but $$$. This is a budget project!

10. That looks like fun. Do they make a five string version of that?

11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    what about a clear pickguard? No?

12. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Aren't the black pearl and the tort around the same price? They are here. I think the chrome plate, the bridge and the rosewood finger board bring in the black pearl. If it were anything else the tort would be your only choice I think.

13. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    From what I can tell, they're not doing any of this style anymore. Maybe Uncle Ernie kicked them in the nuts until they stopped - who knows.

I thought hard about clear, but you'd still be able to see the extra space around the pickup. Clear painted gold on the back like an early Rickenbacker, however...

I can get a used black pearl for cheaper than the new tort. Maybe I should sit tight for a used tort - I really like the look, at least in this shot. I might just need to get the black pearl and give it a try.

14. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Well if YOU like the tort, that has to be the correct and only important answer. :D Mind you, you could easily resell the black pearl if you don't like it. I would venture that you wouldn't lose money doing so, perhaps you would only lose time. Besides I bet you like to tinker anyway :)

15. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sigh. What I'd REALLY like is no PG at all (because of the top) - but I've never seen MM-style pickup mounting rings. I'm not tring to make a 'Ray clone here.

I was originally thinking about an EMG pickup, too - I like EMGs, and it would save me the trouble of bridge grounding. Maybe if I make my own flat pickup mounting ring for an EMG? Hmmmm...

16. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Are the pickup routs on a real SR hogged out as much as this one? I can't remember from the last time I had my Sterling naked.

17. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Now that I like! Very nice Smash! :cool:

18. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yeah, yours (his) is they way I wish mine was - look at the pics at the top of the page. The pickup and ears fit completely in the rout of mine - there's 1/2" clearance all around.

The more I think about it, I'm tempted to make a pickup ring and go PGless. The top is what attracted me to this cheapie, and I'd like to be able to see it!

Having a clear (or no) PG gives it a real G&L look, eh?