Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For 2-pickup basses players

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Jun 26, 2005.

1. Neck pickup soloed.

8.3%
  2. Bridge pickup soloed.

5.0%
  3. Full neck pickup plus a bit of bridge pickup.

16.7%
  4. Full bridge pickup plus a bit of neck pickup.

15.0%
  5. Both pickups full.

45.0%
  6. Other, please post.

10.0%
  1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

OK, I did a search and didn't find something like this. Of course I know that the palette of philosophies on this topic is HUGE, but I'm just curious about the tendencies. Let's suppose that you are preparing for a gig, put your amp's tone controls flat and use your pickups' balance as an starting point. What do you do? My settings have always been both pickups full, but my new Bongo is so versatile that it makes me think twice about this. Of course everybody has his/her own conception of tone and I'm not posting this poll looking for an advice. Just curious about it. If you want to add any comments about how do you use your bass' tone controls, please do so. Thank you for your input!

2. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    both full man, only way to go

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Both pickups full. I'll move my pickup blend pot to use more of the bridge pickup if I need my tone to cut through.

- Art

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I'll make minor variations with the blend knob depending on the individual song, or my mood that day, whatever, but generally both full.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, full for me too, unless I want a little bit of that Jaco-tone, then I'll back off the bridge pickup a little. Or if I want to get more of a P sound out of my J, I'll turn the bridge pickup off. But it happens rarely.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've got 2 humbuckers with the pan selector in the middle.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

+1 for my Jazz

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    It really depends on the bass for me. Sometimes I like both full, and sometimes I like the bridge full but like to back off the neck pickup just a shade...just 'til it opens up a bit.

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    When I was playing a traditional Jazz bass I would max the bridge and dial-up a certain amount of neck depending on the situation, or both full if I was slapping. I always considered the neck pup the "garnish", the bridge pup was the "meal", that's where the Jazz bass meat is!! Because of playing a Jazz exclusively for so long Volume/Volume is the way to go for me, a blend just doesn't get it done. These days I am doing the exact same thing, except I have a new weapon in soloing the neck pup, the FD-3 delivers passive tones that are absolutely nothing short of bieng completely P-LICIOUS!!

10. I usually run with both humbuckers in the middle as I only have the blend with 1 volume. I will play closer to the bridge if I want more attack and almost right on top of the 24th fret if I want to fatten up the tone. Otherwise I anchor my thumb on either pickup depending on the song and style and run with it.

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    With my Corvette (vol-blend) I either run 90% bridge, 10% neck for punchy/growly sounds or 10% bridge, 90% neck for that P-ish tone. That's where it sounds the best: full bridge looses the low freqs, full neck looses some highs, and 50-50 sounds a bit muddy.
    And meanwhile, eq off.
    These are my two defaults on this bass

12. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    both for modern, neck for vintage, bridge for cut through.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oops, I made a goof. I said, "Unless I want a little bit of that Jaco-tone, then I'll back off the bridge pickup a little." I meant to say I'll back the neck pickup off a little.

14. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Generally 50:50 on my fretted Js, occasionally 60:40 in favour of bridge. On fretless mainly the latter of the above two settings to bring out the mids more. On the Ric, both full V&T all the time!

15. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    One pickup soloed or the other. I only run both full up if I'm slapping.

16. Usually neck full (P-style PU), but sometimes bridge full. I've been using both full for slap, but I think I may switch to something like 80:20, in favor of the neck.

17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It depends on the tune.

For day day goofing off of when I am doing my lessons, I just have them on 50-50.

18. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Generally both full but as I start to get into a song I tend to mess around and end up with a good setting for that song in particular. I used to lean towards my P pup at the neck but now I've started going the other way and throwing more bridge in.

19. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    bridge full, neck rolled off a bit. That give a mid scoop that make a nice basic sound and I can roll the neck all the way on for a more full sound.

20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I tend to solo the neck pickup more than the bridge pickup. I'm not usually a "both pickups at the same time" kinda guy, but I will dial in some piezo with the soloed neck pickup on both of my Bongos.