Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

for $300 us

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Mar 11, 2006.

1. im looking for a decent slap bass for $300us any suggestions:bassist:

2. BassDerek

BassDerek

Aug 15, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    $300 U.S is pretty restricting. I'd look at the local used shop if there is one, and just play around for the best sound.

There are some cheaper ibanezes in that range that are O.K. but I don't know about slap or not. the OLP MM Is a copy of the classic funk/slap bass by Ernie Ball, so that may suit your needs. But just play and find the sound you like.

3. im just learning slap technique
    im kind of a newbie to bass
    i spent all my money on a washburn ab-10 accoustic electric
    i also traded my ibanez gsr190 for it which makes me have no bass to slap pop on and little funds even at the end of the month

4. I agree with the go used advise - always, especially where price is a major factor...
    My suggestion is a used Ibanez ATK - I like mine better than the OLP's I've played, but they're very stingray-esque (but still versatile). Great slap tone, great punk-with-a-pick sound, great finger-picking sound. Solid, heavy as a boat anchor, 3-band active EQ, triple-coil pickup with 3 switching tone options, and very playable.

Alternatively, lots of people slap on J-basses, so a used MIM J-bass would also be a good choice. Depends on your taste - fenderish or musicmany.

Good luck,
    Steve

5. charliehack

charliehack

Mar 11, 2006
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i would look for a used mid-level yamaha. i was playing one of their high end fivers the other day and was very impressed. of course, the BB was the japanese bass that started it all back in the day...

6. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
  7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Used Fender MIM Jazz.

8. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I took a chance on an olp,and now it is my all time favorite 4 string bass! I'm gonna collect these things while their only asking the retarded price of 200.00! Its too bad the 5er is so gawd dang UGLY!(body beveling? and that horrible pickguard!) otherwise I'd have one for sure!

9. I've never played one, but most of what I've read would second the OLP suggestion.

10. Does anybody know if you can get a Musicman S.U.B. bass for that price? People around here say that it's a good approximation of the Stingray tone and is built to last.

11. steve21

steve21 Banned

Man, my name is steve too, and I was going to recommend either an OLP or a used MIM.

12. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I bought my jazz for 320.. great bass..

13. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    A used one will still put you back 400 at the least.

14. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    My vote goes to an Ibanez. Very consistent quality for a low-end'er.

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Your TB name is appropriate. I just bought a fretless MIM jazz from TB for 300$. I got my fretted new for 500CAN at a store.