1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

? for a 5 string bassist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by clammit l82, May 15, 2001.

1. this might sound stupid but i was just wondering how u guys got into playing a 5 string. did u start out playing it or did u start w/ 4 string and gradually move up to a 5 string.

2. Comakazi

Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    Kinda by accident. I was going to get my Stingray at the local GC but they had sold the one I wanted. The only one they had that was the color I wanted was a fiver. I talked 'em down to giving me the 5 for the price of a 4 and a bit less. And that was how I found the joy of five strings!

3. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I played in a cover band in the mid-80s and alot of the songs had low bass notes, d tuner was a big thing and I could not get one lefthanded, {I'm a lefty } so I got a carvin LB75 lefthanded bass, I could cover all the songs and liked the low notes I could do with it, I found I was playing it all the time and sold my other 4 string basses, now I have all 5 string basses,

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

There weren't any 5's to my knowledge when I was in high school and playing bass in 1970.

Later, I heard two songs on the radio that came out about the same time, one was Clapton's "Bad Love" (think that's the title), and Richard Marx's "Don't Mean Nothin'" and realized I couldn't get the huge, fat, deep, sound of the bass, nor the notes in standard tuning.

5. cschenk78

cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    After seeing my first Phish show when I was about 14, I had to get a five, cuz that's what Mike had, now 8 years later I am stuck...I just can't ever go back!!!

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    ummmmm.....well i actually didnt know the diffrence, i just knew that korn used a five string. ahah i thought fieldy was god then. i dont need any bashing here, my bass playing has come a long way sence those days. im really glad i started on a 5 string instead of a 4. oh, by the way i now know that wooten is god.

7. I've been playing a little over a year and a half. I just got my Warwick 5-string saturday. And that's my story. lol

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well when I started out they only had 4-strings available, but then I had a long break and when I came back to bass playing I went to a 6-string. I actually found that I used the low B a lot more than the high C, which never sounded like a "bass" string as such. So my next bass, I was happy to get a 5 and have done ever since.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I originally started out on a 4 string bass and played one from 1986-1997, some of my friends told me i should look into a 5, and i was sick of having to drop tune and not be able to go to e flat and lower registers without drop tuning as well. Been playin a 5 for about 4 almost 5 years now..ill never regret making the switch...heck i dont even own a 4 anymore and have a hard time playin them now.

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I started out on a 4. Then I moved to a 5er to get the added low notes that I couldn't get out of the four string, even when in drop D tuning.

Now, I switch back and forth between a four string and five string (although my "main" bass is a fiver)

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I was playing 4-string in our band when we first started up (as a country band). Then I noticed those hosers on the records were playing a lot of notes lower than I could play on my bass. I switched to 5-string, and have reaped all the benefits ever since. Hell, I couldn't stop buying the danged things. Now I've got six of 'em, and jonesing for more.

12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I started on a four string. But it soon became evident to me that bass players in styles that I liked were switching to fives. In fact, it seems like every year that goes by more and more bassists are using the five string bass instead of a four.

It makes me wonder if they really find the B string a necessity or has it come to the point that if a bassist doesn't have a five string, other musicians will look down on him with an "Hey,don't you know how to play a five string?" attitude.

The five string's main disadvanatge for me who has small hands is the wider neck. Most five strings weigh more, too. But I do like that B-string.

13. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Lafayette, LA
    I started on a 4, I got a cheap Ibanez GSR 200... then I ended up getting a 5 string because it was used and I got a good deal on it. I was actually planning on getting another 4 but the guy ended up selling it to someone else. Now I went back to a 4, because I got this 4 string Acoustic/Electric Bass Guitar.... well thats my story.

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I know some people like that here, well 2 of them, they both have very nice 4 strings, one of them just wants a 5 because Ive got a few and the other well he wants one for the right reasons.

I have small hands too and it was a bit much at 1st on the neck, but after awhile ya adapt to it

15. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    I dunno... something to do I suppose.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I started in the early 80's, as synths were gaining popularity supplying basslines. Detuning definitely wasn't the answer. I think I built my first low B five around 1980-81.

17. When I started playing, a 4 was all ya could get. A while back I decided strings were too expensive so I changed to a three. About four years ago I decided Mark Sandman was cool, so went to two. Last year I saw a picture of an Atlansia one string, and fell in love with it. The only drawback to a 1 is a lot of position changes, but hey, the strings are cheap!

18. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Be careful Marty your band might get a MC303 no strings more money for them and no one for the sound desk attendant to shout at. :)

I bought a 5 in 97 as a second bass. I couldnt see the point in having 2 similar instruments so I traded the 4 in for a fretless 4. I have used the fretless mainly until recently when the vol pot died. I am so much into 5 at the moment I would like to chop the fretless for a fretless 5. We will see.

19. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

I got a 5 so I could play primus .. lol .. I tought myself to play by learning covers.. I'm thinking of getting a 4 with a detuner as my next bass but listening to you guys almost makes me want to get another 5.

20. You know, I tried really hard to like fivers. REALLY HARD. But I find myself so much happier with 4 strings.

I agree with what JO said above, about fivers just becoming the de facto standard in the bass world.

And I seriously have to wonder how often that B string is actually REQUIRED.

Now before you guys start, I know all the reasons for the fifth string. I don't diagree with them. Fivers just don't work for ME.

I am glad they work for those who play them. I'm not going to give you any tripe about Jaco needing only four strings. Who cares. That was Jaco.

What I will give you is this:

*I* only need 4 strings.

If that changes in the future, then I'll try a fiver again. Till then, four.

FF