For a first bass: the Spector NS2000Q4????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nailman, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Nailman

Nailman Guest

Aug 7, 2002
    Chevy Chase, MD
    I've been playing guitar for longer than I'd care to admitt (over 30 years! Yikes!) and have recently got a hankering for a bass; mostly for my own recording projects, but also to help accompany the singer/songwriter I play lead guitar for part time - (she writes in the folk/soft-rock/Indigo girls Cheryl Crow tradition - gigs = small audiences of under 100).
    My local guitar store had the usual Fender MIM Jazz, some nice Yamaha's, but I really took a hankering to this Spector NS2000Q4. I was playing it thru a Hartke Kickback (125 amp). I loved the feel, the look, adjustability of the tone, it was lightweight, etc.. Price is $565
    Anything I should be aware of with this bass? For the same money, is there any other bass that, hands down, kicks it's butt? Or, as I suspect, for the money this is a very decent, nice sounding bass.
    Thanks folks!
    PS I don't have a bass amp yet - was planning on just using my Carvin AG100D for the moment while I learn this great new instrument; any comments in this regard vis a vi starting amps (probably a combo is what I need, right?) are welcome as well
  2. lil_bass_boy

lil_bass_boy Banned

Oct 25, 2001
    Maryland, USA
    Yeah, if you like it, why not. For your price range, I have heard that the MTD Kingstons are really nice too, but I've never tried them out.

I've played a couple of Spectors and I didn't complain, they have a nice sound.

Good Luck with your bass playing,

3. Nailman

Nailman Guest

Aug 7, 2002
    Chevy Chase, MD
    Surely SOMEONE has some opinions on this? Yea, I know, it's not a sexy question; but I did a full search on the model in this forum, and nothing much on point.
  4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The Spector seems to have good features - three piece neck, active tone controls, alder/quilt body. I've never played the bolt-on model, but the neck-thru model I tried (also a Korean-made bass) seemed nice. There are a lot of other decent basses in this price range, though, and, as you say, the Q4 isn't all that sexy. For less money, you can get the MIM Precisions and Jazzes, which seem to have a good reputation. Also the Dean Edge Q and Rhapsody Q are somewere around the same price. The Ibanez BTB 400 is also a nice bass, again in the same price range. There are others as well, from ESP, Fernandes, MTD Kingston (as previously mentioned), etc.

So it comes down to what you want. The EMG-HZ pickups seem to get good press, and I think the tone circuit on the Spector is also an EMG. If you like it, and it fits you well, buy it, as lil_bass_boy said.

Also, you could check for reviews on and , if you haven't already done so.
  5. Nailman

Nailman Guest

Aug 7, 2002
    Chevy Chase, MD
    Hi Flatwound! Geez, I feel silly - I forgot about all the reviews on Harmony Central; GREAT resource for reviews!

Thanks a ton for the suggestions and advice!
  6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    check out the Spector web site at ...they have a section with the specs of all their basses. You can also download a manual if you have adobe.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that the reason that you didn't get many replies is that not many people own this bass.

My opinion? It's a nice enough bass, but not a good value in the bang for the buck department. For quite a bit less, you can get an MTD Kingston, which I much prefer tonally and fit/finish wise, or a MIM Fender Jazz or Precision, which I prefer tonally as well. For just a little more, you can get a Conklin GT 4, which IMHO kills it. Soon there will be the Lakland 44-01, which will be around the same price as the Conlin, and will also run circles around the NS2000Q4, if it is anything like the 55-01.
  8. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I just purchased a used NS2000Q4. I like it a lot and it has a really funky sound that I was looking for. It's a good slapper and has a good tone, and I couldn't beat it for price. I don't think I'd buy one new, though.

9. Hi,

I got a BTB-400 2 months ago and was very tempted by the NS-2000Q4. Unfortunately here in Canada (land of monkey money) the Spector was over 100$ more whereas in the US they share the same price!

I preferred the playability of the Spector over the BTB. The BTB is more versatile tone wise IMHO but I felt the NS-2000Q4 tone had more character to it.

The Dean didn't do it for me, the Yamaha BB-604 might also be worth a look.

In the end if not for the price I might have left the store with the Spector, despite the BTB better versatility...

Good Luck in you choice

P.S. I REALLY like my BTB but I know that someday I'll own a Czech Spector :D
  10. Nailman - if you've played it and like it, and it's within your price range it's well worth considering! Play a few others in your price range and see how they feel and play.

I have 3 Spectors, one is the REX2000/Q5 - this is the Korean 5 string with a different body shape. I think that it's value for money is excellent! It sounds fantastic - the EMG Hz pups and the EMG pre-amp are great!!! I also have 2 Czech Spectors - the active EMG pups and pre-amp are amazing allowing more output and more tonal variation than the Korean series ,but not an awful lot more.

You'll get a lot of different answers on this thread - mine is if you like it and can live with it, and for your money can't find anything better (which in that price range I think will be difficult) go for it!!!!
  11. Nailman

Nailman Guest

Aug 7, 2002
    Chevy Chase, MD
    Everybody: Thanks SOOOoooo much for the feedback, both for, against, and in-between. Last night I bought the Spector NS2000Q4 in BLACK CHERRY (lordy, it look purty!), PLUS I got an Ampeg B-50R combo (love that retro look).
    I've yet to take my first lesson, but I was up till 2:30 AM playing; my fingers ache, but I've been proselytized and am now a bass-convert.
    Looking forward to playing, reading these posts, and learning, learning, learning.
    Thanks again fellow bassers (of which I am now a member!)
  12. Nailman

Nailman Guest

Aug 7, 2002
    Chevy Chase, MD
    I'm so excited (and a bit tired!), I typed the wrong number: it's a B-100R (I wanted the extra umph for possible large venue playing down the line (think positive, right?).
  13. Congrats on your purchases - and welcome to the wonderful world of bass playing!:)
  14. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i have the NS2000/4 (neck through version) and that exact amp and agree..its a kickass combination. :D
  15. Congratulation on the new "baby" and welcome to the marvelous world of groove :)