Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

for a first timer....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by instigata, Mar 9, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    would it be "relatively" easy to buy a neck (waromoth, carvin, etc.) and then just carve the body. im thinking the body can be a little more freelance and exacting, as opposed to the neck, which takes ridiculous precision.

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    that's what i thought, but as i get closer and closer to making my first cuts, i'm getting more and more nervous. the part that scares me the most is the routing. particularly the routing of the neck pocket, where you have to have it dead center and at the right angle.

3. VaantCustom

VaantCustom

Feb 5, 2006
    Canada
    Basically yes, but excluding all the details about the body alone, read up about angling the neck properly for the bridge you plan to use. You may already know this, but I'm just adding it to make sure.

4. What Vaant said....don't make a single cut until you've already decided on your bridge and drawn it out from the side. So many things depend on the bridge and the neck angle that you don't want to gloss over this.

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I think these guys covered the basses -- you do have to be precise with the neck pocket and bridge/string geometry. There's less precision work overall going into the body than into the neck.