1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

for a PA like sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Sep 25, 2008.

1. here in my world, the bands are provided with a backline and a PA system to gig by the organizers. hence, i plan to go direct with a sansamp VT bass so that my tone sounds more like what it is at every venue.

the question is which cab should i go for in order to to get tones, at my band rehearsals, which would sound similar to what the audience would hear at the gig through the FOH system considering my eq on the mixer is flat. i plan to go like this:
    sansamp vt bass as a preamp ->a neutral sounding poweramp -> cab in question

i have two options: 1x12 cab or 1x15+horn the horn cannot be turned off

please comment.

in short, would a 1x12 or a 1x15+horn would give me a more pa like sound??

edit/add
    1.i do not have any other options than these two
    2.i have to work around some fuzzy/distorted tones so is the horn gonna be a bad idea because it cant be switched off?
    3.i dont know a lot about FOH systems and i believe each venue could have a different sort of a system and speakers, so i am only looking for an approximation of the tone
    4. am in India so the cabs you guys get in the market are not available here. what i'd be getting is an Indian made cab.

thanks for reading

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Ideally you'd probably want a good 3 way PA enclosure. Maybe even the Carvin 3 way might be good enough. Other than that a 15 plus horn would be not bad if it's a high quality cabinet. All these bass cabinets are pretty coloured in their output compared to a high quality PA so it won't be the same, but at least you'll get an idea if the Sansamp is set with too much distortion or treble boost, something I've found that most guys who I've heard use them don't seem to take into account..

3. i have edited my first post

4. awaiting replies..

5. qtowens

qtowens

May 30, 2008
    Ferndale, MI
    Out of the two choices you have before you, the 15" + horn will deliver the most "hi fi" sound. If you can use both cabinets, I'd try that to further your tone options.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If these are PA cabinets, and it has a good horn, you won't notice it is a horn. It's output would be balanced with that of the low frequency driver.

If these just look like PA cabs and are just tossed together to "play the look", then things may not be balanced, and they may sound quite bad.

It's just anybodies guess since you haven't mentioned brands or measurements.

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    With the info parameters you have given, I'd say get a 2-way 15"/tweeter cab.

BTW - I think this is a good approach. Your stage amp is a monitor. "Your sound" is what comes through the FOH.

If I could find a full range, PA type cab that is as portable as my current combo amp, I'd do the same thing.

8. I've been using my GK1001RBII out of a Carvin 3 way PA cab for a couple weeks while I wait for my GK 412 to be delivered. It actually sounds great. A gig came up where we had to use the PA speakers for the PA (go figure) so I 'rented' an ampeg cab from a local GC (410hlf). It ended up being much darker and muddier than the PA cab and I didn't like it at all.

Also the GK amp has a Hi-cut for the woofer which I definitely needed with the PA cab. Otherwise the hi's through the horn were deadly.

you could even go for one PA facing outward, and a monitor wedge facing up at you.

9. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I'm not convinced you can ever approximate the PA.

1. You will never have the entire set of equipment and cabinets the PA supplier has. Never mind the brands; just the complement of speakers.

2. You will not have a FOH guy adjusting levels and EQ on a mixing board. He can easily change your tone.

3. The venue plays a great part in the final tone. In a room, a PA will be equalized to minimize bad effects of the room dimensions. You cannot approximate these room effects in a different room.

So what do you do? You go out into the house during sound check and listen to the tone you get in the house. You adjust what you can to improve that tone. And at rehearsals you just take what you get.

Rehearsal is for getting the songs correct. Approximating the FOH sound is only an exercise in futility---if you're not running FOH, forget about it.