for accoustic electric bass guitar

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Mar 14, 2006.

1. i recently purchased a used washburn ab-10 accoustic electric
    and the round wound strings are pretty old and i was thinking of switching to a flat wound or tape wound can anyone recommend me some strings :help: :bassist:
  2. Kenji Haro

Kenji Haro

Jan 23, 2006
    The OC
    I've used several acoustic sets on my Dobro Bass Guitar; Earthwood and Thomastik Acousticore mostly. The latter are like butter and there is nothing like them, the Earthwood is a good match for the Washburn and are slightly louder, twangier. Neither are super easy to find....and I'm in L.A. I think I used a Markley set once too....not so impressed.
  3. MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
  4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    My favorite is TI Acousticore. Second would be Labella tapewound. TI flats sound good also. I don't like the regular phosphor bronze steel core acoustic strings.
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Right now I'm using T-I Jazz Flats, but I plan to give LaBella tapewounds a spin. I've just been putting it off because I suspect that since the gauges of the tapewounds are so different, I might need to have the nut redone (or maybe I'll just get a spare in case I decide to return to the T-Is).
  6. cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    +1 on the TI Acousticore. I tried some regular bass strings, as well as D'Addorio bronze acoustic-electric strings and La Bella black tapewounds on my Ibanez AEB10. The Acousticore are the best playing and sounding of the ones I have tried, and they keep getting better with age. They aren't the loudest strings, but I mostly use the AEB for recording and they are awesome in that context. They also sound great amplified. They aren't cheap, until you factor in that you won't be buying any more strings for your bass for a long, long time.
  7. thanks now all i need is the money
  8. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Where could one find these Acousticores if one were so inclined?
  9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
  10. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    All good advice, but ...

Will you always be plugged in, or want to play it unplugged?
    Most people playing AB's unplugged are disappointed, and the tapewounds don't help in those situations.

If you play unplugged, I'd recommend an all-metal string.
  11. [​IMG]

Which strings should I get for the Dean Performer?

I would like a real acoustic sound, so, instead of all-metal strings, are there any other possibilities?
  12. paulodumb

Jan 16, 2006
    ypsilanti, mi
    i have cheapo fender tapewounds on my cheapo dean abg. i use the bass only for practicing on the couch and i never plug it in. i'd probably spring for the labella tapewounds if i had the $$, but for my purposes i love the cheap tapewounds on the thing. it gets rid of the squeeeek squeeek squeeek that i've always been annoyed with while playing ABGs. they're not particularly loud, but do have good acoustic tone.
  13. paulodumb

Jan 16, 2006
    ypsilanti, mi
    oh, and with the tapewounds, it actually sounds like a bass, as opposed to a giant guitar.
  14. Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Sorry, may i ask? How does a acoustic bass sound? Is it a big differenece?
  15. cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH

The TI Acousticore's are phosporbronze wound, but they have a nylon core (for what it's worth).
  16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Carvin sells the LaBella tapewound 4 string sets for cheap. Give them a try!