1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For aircraft enthusiasts: US built carrier planes used on non US Navy Carriers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blazer, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    It's funny how it goes, when a plane is developed for use on carriers it also makes for a good plane for land use because of it being able to operate from airfields with short landing strips and the folding wings make it so much easier to store than a plane with the wings fixed.
    McDonnell-Douglas-F4-Phantom-Carrier.
    McDonnel/Douglas F-4 Phantoms and Grumman A-6 Intruder planes on the start deck of the USS Midway with their wings folded.

But there aren't many naval air arms out there who use those carrier planes for what they were meant to: for use on carriers. So I figured it to be fun to point out the planes that were. Starting with the already mentioned MDD F-4 Phantom.

The only Naval Air Arm aside from the US navy to use the Phantom on carriers was the British Royal Navy.
    F4RN.
    British Phantoms were quite different from their US counterparts, they had different avionics and different engines, being powered by Rolls Royce "Spey" turbofans which were more powerful than the GE J-79 which powered the US Phantoms. The Brits operated their Phantoms from HMS Ark Royal until she was decommissioned after which they were used by the Royal Airforce for many years.
    2159438668_43a2b78d4b.

800px-A-4F_VA-55_CVA-19_1972.
    Then there's the Venerable Douglas A-4 Skyhawk, which has flown (and continues to fly) with many airforces but has also seen three other operators aside the US navy to fly them from carriers.
    a4_15.
    The Royal Australian Navy operated their fleet of Skyhawks from the HMAS Melbourne
    AF1_da_Marinha_do_Brasil_2.
    The Brazillians fly them from the Sao Paolo
    [​IMG]
    And the Argentinians flew them from the Veinticinco de Mayo, note also the French built Dassault Super Etendard fighters.

Now, far less glorious but a very important plane on US carriers is the Grumman E-2 Hawkeye.
    E-2A_VAW-11_CVA-43_1966.
    For over 45 years and counting, the Hawkeye has provided the US Navy with eyes in the sky and with such a good operational record it isn't that surprising that plenty of airforces have bought it for use in exactly that role but of those foreign users there's only one who uses theirs on a carrier.
    FS_CdG_Super_Hawkeye.
    The French Naval Air arm uses their Hawkeyes on the Charles Du Gaulle.

And I'll end this with one of the most bad ass fighters the US Navy ever had:the Chance-Vought F-8 Crusader.
    [​IMG]
    Fondly remembered by those who flew it and the legend it has by the general public as being "the last gun fighter" the Crusader's place in history has been secured many times over. But what's less well known is that the only other naval air arm operator who used their fleet of Crusaders from carriers flew them much longer than the US Navy did.
    66459_800.
    the French used their F-8 Crusaders from 1964 until 1999, their longevity was mainly attributed to the fact that indigenous fighters which were developed to replace it, such as the Sepecat Jaguar M and the Dassault Rafale M, were either unsatisfactory in their performance or were taking too long in development.

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    This one was carrier-based for the US only but, it gets my vote for the most ironic of all: the F-14, star of the "Top Gun" movie and considered by some to be among the best fighters that we ever had. It's an iconic US bird, who flies them now? Just one country and it's not us, we retired them. It's.........Iran!:eyebrow::

[​IMG]

Actually it's somewhat debatable as to whether they're still flying. The ones that they do posses are older and there's some question about how they would keep them flying with no spare parts and no knowledge-exchange with Grumman and so on.

3. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    And why do you think I didn't name that one?

Because Iran doesn't use them from a carrier.

4. The F-14 was a big, heavy plane ... I wonder, was it the biggest to ever be regularly flown from a carrier?

5. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
  6. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Nope you'd have to look at the Douglas A3D Skywarrior for that.
    douglas_ea3_skywarrior.

[​IMG]
    The USS Coral sea, the Skywarriors on her deck can easily be spotted since they're the biggest of the bunch.

But the Skywarrior has a serious flaw: the only way to get in or out of it was either through a hatch at the bottom of the nose or through a hatch located in the roof of the cockpit.
    4565774877_01bb7f9617_z.
    You can just make out the handle at the roof to open the hatch in this picture.

Both making it impossible for the three man crew to bail out when their plane went down, as such the pilots and crews quipped that "A3D" stood for "All three dead"

7. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    That shot of the F-8 is awesome. Always loved the Phantom, too. What a beast. Thanks for posting.

8. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    F-4J_VF-33_and_F-4K_892_NAS_on_USS_Independence_(CVA-62)_1971.
    Here's a cool picture of a US Navy F-4J and a Royal Navy F-4K side by side on the USS Independence which shows the difference between the two types to good effect, most notably the higher front leg of the British plane which was meant to give it a good angle to be launched succesfully from the much smaller British carriers.

HMS_Ark_Royal_USS_Nimitz_Norfolk2_1978.
    And this picture of the HSM Ark Royal and the USS Nimitz moored next to each other shows just how much smaller the British carriers were.

9. I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning- smells like... Kerosene. :)

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Let's not forget the WWII era carrier fighters. The British flew Hellcats and Corsairs from carriers, and the French flew Corsairs from carriers after the war.

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    yes, I'm aware of that. It's still a rather interesting plane for a conversation though, no?

12. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    The Brits were the first to fly Corsairs from a carrier I believe. Until they did it, we used them as land-based US Marine planes.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Those planes can operate from short runways as long as said runways have catapults and arresting wires.

14. More recently we've bought some F-35s for our new carriers :)

15. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Well many European air forces have arresting wires at their runways, as such the F-16 which isn't a carrier plane but is in service with many European air force has an arresting hook.
    f-16-in-arresting-system.

16. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Thanks for posting the Fleet Air Arm Phantom pics.
    Back when I was a wee one I wanted to go into the Navy to fly those things. Just as I was coming up to the right age to join I was taken aside by my teacher (it was a Naval School) who explained to me how the FAA were going over to Sea Harriers, and my considerable 'sprouting' meant that I'd never fit in a Sea Harrier. Very sad day for me.
    "You'll not be able to fly anything 'with teeth,' son..."
    Paul Ogden. Legend.

A couple of years later, the FAA's Sea Harriers cut their teeth in the South Atlantic.

The Phantom is a pretty bird too. Big and powerful.