for all the newbies, don't go cheap

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Matt Ides, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Just got my third bass. I just wanted to let all the newbies know how critical is it to get a playable bass and actually put the money down for it.

I haven't played in years and got a cheap Chinese bass second hand for $300. Having played before, I knew this was not a good instrument, although it did affirm that I wanted to start playing again.

Just this week picked up a ply German bass that has a basic set up, trip to the luthier is due.

What I wanted to say is that this bass makes playing once again enjoyable and fun. Yes, I have hours of shed time ahead, but at least I can't blame the bass for the horrible sound coming out.

Just wanted to thank all who continually post and how helpful the newbie threads are.

2. Matt, is the Chinese bass you are refering to one your girlfriend bought you for a Christmas gift? If so then I think it's my old bass. I'm glad to see you got alot of use out of it. Anyway, good luck.
  3. greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    What bass did you get Matt ?
  4. Have "you" (anyone) suggestions about comparing my bass to the next bass I think I want?

Short of "taking" my bass to N.Y. or N.M. or Az. or ??

My other thought is to "own" two basses until I decide which one I like best.

What have "you" done in the past to "trade up" to your next bass?

Thanks for thoughts and replys. -Al
  5. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Why not just head down to Hammond Ashley [It's kind of by Sea-Tac], they have a lot to chose from.

Also a good excuse to look at the full-size + fiver that they have "in for repairs" from the Tacoma youth symphony.
  6. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Mike, can't say that it is, but I wish that my GF would buy me a bass for x-mas.

Steve, I picked up one of the Eberles from your shop.

Al, all I can say is take the advice given here...just play as many basses as you can. What I can say is that this laminated ply had a much fuller sound than most of the other plys (kay, engelhardt, various european plys) that I played and some hybrids that had a dead sound to them.