For All You 6'ers...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I have a 4, which I like, I just find that I need those 5 extra notes. I have a 5 now which is sweet, but i've been looking into 6's. I think they're kinda cool, but what's the point to it other than going a lot higher? Do you find it very useful? Also, I don't like the gargantuan sized necks, is it possible to get a thinner like neck?

I'm sorry for all these newb questions. :(
  2. Well, I don't really go higher that much... I wouldn't say that I use the upper 5 notes on the C string very often. That said, the advantages I find are that there are more notes available in one position, I can play certain passages lower on the neck, especially chords, which I personally find more comfortable. Additionally, I love the feel of the width of a 6 string neck in my hands. That said, I don't like 6 strings with chunky necks. I prefer a thin wide neck with an elliptical shape as opposed to the C an D necks found on some basses.

Hope this helps.
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I tried, probably picked bad credentials. :scowl:
  4. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Big +1 on all that Geoff said. For me, first it's the positioning (maybe it's laziness) - playing the Headhunters version of "Watermelon Man" on a 6 is more fun ;) . And on a completely inexplicable note, I've noticed that since I sold my Elrick 6 (36 in scale :bassist: ) I really miss the long scale 6 stringers. It was my only 6 and I sold it because I figured I'd just have an easier time on 5, but for some reason the 6 felt more "natural."

Also, there are lots of bass makers who make a narrow spacing 6, I think the Cirrus is one, and plenty of custom builders who will as well.

Good luck. . .
  5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    +1 on extra playing positions. When I was playing lots of melodic parts, such as Disney stuff for my kindergarten classroom, I found myself jumping around on the fingerboard of my 5 more than I'd like to, so I went to a 6 for the easier access to higher notes.

As I've said countless times before, the 6-string AFAIK with the narrowest neck (2" wide at nut, 3" wide at 22nd fret) I've come across is my Samick Fairlane 6. I find the neck on that bass more comfortable than that of my Ibanez TRB105 5-string. Other 6-strings like the Peavey Fury and Ibanez SR506 are a bit more than 2" at the nut and about 3.125" to 3.25" at the last fret. Too wide for my tastes, but the thin-flat profiles on those necks are to die for.
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    The even numbers of strings just make more sense to me pattern-wise and for chords. Standard tuning, up two strings/up two just seems to work. I had a few 5-ers...I was always looking for that 6th string. The low B seemed more like a bonus string than a part of the fretboard.

Weird - eh?
  7. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Four strings seems limited, five strings seems half way there... but six strings just feel "right" to me. Even if I may not need all the strings for everything (hey, I'm still new to six'ers), it's good to know it's there.
    My BTB has relatively wide spacing, but the neck size doesn't bother me at all. Again, it just feels right. :hyper: