1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For all you eBay junkies (vintage Ampeg)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Psycho Bass Guy, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Anyone looking at this V9 should be aware that in addition to crap Mesa Chinese 6550 output tubes, the amp in question has had a cap job and probably other service as well. It's a very clean amp, but it's not as advertised.

2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I've had a set of Chinese 6550s in my SVT for the past decade or so. They are working well. YMMV.

I've never played through that model, but it sure is clean.

3. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    How come you know?

4. You're kidding, right? :eyebrow: :D

5. Those big blue filter caps shown in the photos weren't even being made until ten years AFTER the production of the V9 ceased and if you'll look closely, you'll also see that the rivets in the cap bases are missing.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Damn, you've got good eyes!

7. Thank you, but it's more from knowing those rivets have to be drilled out for the caps to be replaced. Those big blue cans are obvious replacements and the missing rivets confirm it. Old Ampegs used aluminum or black paper for large electrolytics.

8. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I would add, it is a good thing those caps were replaced. It saves you the trouble of doing it.

9. Not necessarily. My V9 has its original caps and they're fine. While it IS likely that an unused amp sitting in a box would kill its caps, this one is being advertised as mint NOS when the seller clearly knows otherwise. Since that much is not true than you don't know what else is fishy.

10. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    No I wasn't. I never owned a tube amp.

But now I know:)

11. Veeerrrryyy intarestink!

12. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Please don't bid because I am GOING to win this auction. The more you bid the more I pay :) Seriously.
    Jonathan

13. Sorry... I should have explained. The idea of opening a NOS Ampeg and finding Mesa tubes inside tipped me off. I did not spot the other items PBG mentioned however, so I'm glad you asked the question. ;)

14. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    It may have been repaired by Ampeg sometime later, then shipped back out for sale, and I would think that is the most likely case.

I thought the seller stated that he had the Mesa tubes installed....

15. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Anyone ever been to the fliptops.net website??? You could almost built an SVT from their parts...this thing could have been completely routed and parts replaced, faceplate replaced, tolex, corner, etc...the seller could be really smart...but I think he thinks most other people are dumb.

16. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Well, he does claim he had the tubes replaced with Mesa ones for some reason or another.

17. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I'd demand the original tubes be shipped with the amp.

18. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yep, no matter what you buy the seller is a critical component in the purchase whether's he's clueless and doesn't know what he's got, will stand behind the sell, whatever.

Putting the hairy eyeball on the seller as hard as the item is a habit worth having. Beyond ensuring you put yourself in the position to be the one to decide whether you accept or reject a piece, it's a major plus to have someone you can work with when things go sour cause you may want to keep the item but not under the original terms.

19. jvdb

jvdb

Jul 26, 2006
    Is the Ampeg logo on the footswitch from back in the 70's?

20. BASSKADET

BASSKADET Gold Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    NC
    Go back and read the revised description at the bottom of the page. Some people were inquiring about the caps.