Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For All You Funk Souljahs!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sargebaker, Jun 14, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Jumpman is a local teenage band from Montreal, and honestly one of my favourite bands! The bassist is a darn prodigy! The next Claypool. Here is a link to their Purevolume site with a short demo of "The Lenged of Jumpman" They also do the Mario Bros. theme, it's really sick! They put on a great live show too.

Check it out and lemme know what you think!
    HTML:
    http://www.purevolume.com/jumpman
    P.S. It's not me playing
    EDIT: Sorry I can't figure out how to post a direct link,

2. wow, they are pretty good,
    that guitar player is really good too!

Charlie

3. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I know, he's got some cool licks, and I like the whole Wah thing. Anyone have a listen? (If you listen lemme know what you thinkk)

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Whew! Only the young the young can play with that raw energy! Nice drive.

5. Pretty cool! We played with them at a battle of the bands type thing at Club Soda in April, I remember the name Jumpman screaming out at me because of the Nintendo reference. Pretty cool band, does the bassist play a brown 6 string? I remember seeing a guy there pull some crazy slapping stuff similar to the lines in that song. Actually, after looking at the pics from the site I think it might be that guy. Crazy!

6. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Oh it was that guy! Were you in the battle? I was there. (not actually playing though) what band were you in? Do you know Taken Awake?

7. I was in Zealous Apathy, we played around 6:45 on Saturday night. Did Taken Awake play around that time? I might have seen them.

8. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    i dunno if i was inside at that time, they played in the afternoon

9. Ahh, I must have missed them. Do they have any mp3s or something?

10. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    i dunno they r emo, its just they r my friends band so i was wondering if you knew them

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The band is decent as is the tune but what does that have to do with Funk (re: thread title)?? :eyebrow:

12. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    they are pretty funky no? They are way more than just decent....

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Funky? Not the funk I know and grew up with. The band is good, just not my cup of tea. Don't mind me, I'm a 45 year old R&B Funk/Jazz kinda guy!

14. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Ah we have a different kind of Funk in mind i guess. :p It's all good, I'm no funk junkie myself, I can't even really define funk and wouldn't necissrily know it if I was listning to it (I'm the prog or oldies grateful dead kind of kid). I think they consider them selves funk though... Anyway you slice it they have talent. Alot of older bassists who are making millions probably cannot even stand next to this kid... ( Hoppus and all the Hoppus clones)

15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    took a listen. what in the world made you think that was even closely in the vicinity or ballpark or for that matter galaxy as funk :ninja: :bag:

16. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    its a diff kind of funk. It's not like soul funk, Its more like an acid funk if you can call it that... like Primus on Funk sauce.... But they consider them selves funk... and they sign their stuff "In Funk: Jumpman" I guess I could have came up with a better thread name...

17. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i know funk when i see it and that aint it. it doesnt mean its bad, its just not funk.

18. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    IMO - I think it leans more towards "thrash" or metal than funk. Also I think that guy sounds a little more like old shcool Flea (lots of octave pops) than Claypool. But hey...

19. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    yah he octave pops ALOT!but he can bust out the les too. they are actually pretty diverse, they even have like some songs where the bassist plays mandolin, the guitarist clarinet and the drummer bongos. ther bassist plays sitar too. They got some heavier songs and some pretty smooth tunes too. I dont reaLLY know what to categorize them as, might as well throw them in the Prog mixing pot i guess.