Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For all you guys who play piano - Help!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by morty25, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Hey, i heard a song by coldplay not that long ago its called trouble and i really like the song and there is a beautiful piano intro. I dont konw how to read notes but i have a piano in my house, below is an attachment of the notes could someone please show me the right keys to play in the right order.

thanks morty :p

2. I don't have a diagram handy of what notes are where on the piano, but you can probably find one online. Learn one octave- the piano just repeats itself in different octaves with the same pattern. (For example, the white key to the left of a group of two black keys is C.) Find middle C. The top (treble clef) line is what you'd generally play with your right hand, and the bottom (bass clef) is what you'd generally play with your left. If you find a diagram of the clefs and are mindful of the key signature (G in this case, which means all Fs become F-sharp), you can probably figure out the pitches. To help you get started, let's look at the treble/right hand line.

Starts on an F, but because the key signature has an F-sharp in it, all Fs become F-sharp. Therefore, the first note is the F-sharp above middle C.
    Continuing in this fashion, the top staff is mainly F#-G-F#-D-B. It changes a bit and the rhythm is important, especially when you put this with the left hand, which is playing several notes at once.

Together, this part is not very difficult for a pianist at all, and if you take the hands one at a time, it's certainly easy enough to learn to read a bit of music along the way. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell you- "Play the 47th key, then at 40th, and at the same time, the 37th." Wouldn't be worth the mess on anyone's part.

3. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    You seriously need to find someone that reads notation and plays piano. Have them show you where to place your hands and the correct rhythms to play. This is impossible from a written standpoint to teach.

For me, this was really easy to sightread. Of course, 20 years of private lessons helps!:cool: