Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For all you Hartke Bashers....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by watspan, Oct 7, 2005.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Check out the new Cream 2005 DVD! Jack Bruce playing a gibson EB-1 through 2 hartke 8x10 stacks (each w/ a 5500?) and 2 1x15 (maybe 18?) gets a fantastic tone!

I realize Jack can play anything he wants, and at his level may have an endorsement from Hartke, but I was surprised to see Hartke, and was surprised by the tone!

I also thought his EB-1 sounded better than his signature warwick fretless!

Even though I'm an old timer and am familiar w/ Cream's hits, i've never owned a cream album, but while watching the dvd it struck me that I play in a style similar to Jack too!

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I think most "Hartke bashers" around here are "bashing" the cheap entry level stuff they've been putting out lately, not Hartke as a brand in general. I might be wrong, though.

3. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I was going for a "provacative" title ;)

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I treid both 810's VX, and XL the other day looking for a cab and they both started farting a a really low volume. (well low for show standards) I think they should invest more money into making them more of a quality product. Kustom did it why not Hartke?

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    What he said.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm a Hartke amp user[3000, 5500] but I hate their cabs!! A little R&D and some better drivers in those cabs could do wonders to their reputation! :eyebrow:

7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Agree 100%! I use a 3500 which has been beyond reliable and I always thought the 410 and 115 cabs were pretty good, but at the NYC GTG I put the head through James Hart's Schroeder's and wow, what a huge difference :eek: It sounded absolutely great through the 1210!!!

8. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Actually no, I bash the expensive stuff too. :p

9. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Heck, he ain't gonna fart through 4 stacks and 2 heads, unless the dude is deaf. I recently sold off my VX cabs, but reluctantly sold off my Hartke head. The XLs are hit and miss, but I've seen them used in plenty of concerts (live and on tv) through the years and recently. Some people just like the Hartke aluminum.

10. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I believe the sound you are hearing is a high quality direct box like a U5 or something like that. The only people hearing the amp is the band, stagehands, & maybe a mix of stage & house for the 1st row right in front of Jack. It's usually all soundman.

11. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Endorsement? I would think so as they're using Jack as the new poster boy for Hartke. As for the sound, I doubt that your hearing anything Hartke in the mix: as mentioned, its a direct feed of some kind to the house and then to tape.
    I will continue to bash the only Hartke I owned: a 3500 that fell apart piece by piece. Sound was OK, but it was the cheapest amp I have ever owned in 40 years of playing.

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Bah. I used Hartke cabs professionally for about 4 years. If the sound is for you, that's fine. BUT . . . . if a speaker blows, its hell getting a direct replacement from them. That's a deal killer in my book. That, and I was tired of paying to have the center dust cover replaced/reglued after it sounded like a blown speaker. An easy and cheap fix, but it sucked nonetheless . . . .

13. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I use an HA3000 and XL cabs for my backup rig and never had an issue with cabs farting or complaints about the tone.

GK is more my thing these days though. ;)

14. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Ahh! The benefit of many roadies that you can haul around a wall of hartke's just for stage volume and advertising!

15. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The only issue I've ever had with my Hartke rig is that a bracing/chamber board inside the cabinet was a little loose and it resonated against the outer shell on certain notes. Talk about a huge farting noise. I ended up putting in a few big wood screws to hold it in place. Other than that, aside from getting tired of its tone from time to time (I'm currently on an upwards pendullum swing where I like it), I haven't had any problems with it and I've had this setup for like 400 years or something now. Loud and punchy. I have an old MOSFET 3500 head that's supposed to be "better" than newer heads though.

16. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I thought Jack's tone was pretty lame for the Cream reunion. He should've busted out the Marshall stacks huge stylee. It seemed like he was missing tons of mids, and all the distorsion that helped make the signature Jack Bruce "well executed fart" tone.

17. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I don't really like the VX series of cabs, the TP are alright but I kinda wish I had the money for an XL at the time. Anyway, I have what I have and with plenty of tweaking I now have found my groove with the setup, I just wish they would fit a less crappy tube by standard, the tube channel is pretty pointless because the tube has no warmth. I plan to keep the HA3500 as a backup head, I want to try it through some better cabs though just to see what it's like. Tech soundsystems + Hartke, now that would be interesting, almost got to try it on my German trip but they sold the HA3500 a few days before :(.

I have to admit I get tired of the tone from time to time too but then I just tweak it untill I get happy again.

I belive his exact rig from seeing the pictures would be:

HA3500 HA5500 HA5500 HA3500
    115XL VX810 VX810 115XL

As has already been said, I doubt much of that rig has any bearing on the tone the audience hear.

18. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I was at a friend's house recently, and his bass player had a hartke 410 cab and a 3500 head. Sounded like ass.

That said, i wish i could get the same sound out of my big amp as i do out of my little hartke 210 transporter at home. Its beautiful.

19. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I'm not a Hartke basher, but I've yet to play through one I liked. To each his own.

20. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I am not a hartke fan per se, but about 10 years ago I got an insane good deal on a 115xl, 210xl, and 210 TP. I also got the 5000 head to round out the stack. So they are what i mainly used fora while now. sold most of it off, but still have the head and 115.

to the point. your quote- "I was at a friend's house recently, and his bass player had a hartke 410 cab and a 3500 head. Sounded like ass. That said, i wish i could get the same sound out of my big amp as i do out of my little hartke 210 transporter at home. Its beautiful."

Perhaps it wasnt the stack that sounded bad... maybe it was the bass!? It's that and his fingers that start the sound. maybe the room acoustics? maybe the guy playing? in my experience, the 210tp cant hold a candle to the 210xl. I cant help bu thtink the 410 woud be better, especially since you like the 210tp.

teach each his own, and know i am continually searching for a better/difference tone. however, i am a firm believer that the sound you get and/ or like at home playing bass alone has nothing to do with what sounds good playing with a band. I really think bass is a whole different animal in a band vs stand alone.