1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For all you high tech finish pro's

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Greenman, May 7, 2010.

1. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Hand rubbing silver dust into wood. Anybody familiar with this process?

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Funny, that my only experience with this is very far from hi-tech! Back when I was working with gord the restoration master, we were given a table by a woman who wanted it repaired and restored. It was missing a panel under the edge of the side, long since broken away and gone. I forget the age, but it was probably late 19th century. Anyway, the finish was unlike anything I'd seen and gord (who worked as a museum set designer forever) said it had gold dust rubbed into the grain and then had been french polished afterward. That's exactly what we did to make it match the rest. Well, along with some tricks to make it match the age of the table and the crazing of the finish. I asked him about doing it with copper or silver, but he guesstimated they would eventually tarnish, even under the finish, due to the limited amount of breathing that the wood would do.

So there you go, I've seen it done with gold, but not silver. Did you get this idea from the Infiniti commercial? :D

3. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Yes I did

The possibilities are endless

4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Totally. Its basically a form of ceruse finish, or at least its accomplished similarly. We also did an oak chinese style table with a missing leg and matched the original ceruse finish in black, with red dyed plaster of paris rubbed into the grain. Then it was clearcoated and worked to match the age. That red grain on semi-transluscent black was really purdy...