Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For all you poor chaps who caught the Sasser worm

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Toasted, May 8, 2004.

1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Mac user here. No problems. :smug: <= Our smug smiley needs to look a bit more arrogant.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

*does the happy mac user dance*

4. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Cartman Laugh..... HA HA HA----HA HA!

5. It's easy to look smug when you run an OS no one's interested in attacking - that's kinda like bragging you can leave the bank vault open because nobody in town owns a gun.

:D

edit: I run both Linux and Windows at home.

6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    people in ot can benefit from this too

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    No, no no - it's like bragging that you can leave the bank vault open, even though everybody in town has guns, because you only have bottle caps and rubber bands in your bank vault and nobody is interested in your vault.

Uh…yeah. The sasser worm got my wife and I. I have a whole thread about it. This was our first attempt at having a home computer online and we caught the virus after about 2 minutes of being online, having never visited any webpages except the Earthlink home page that came up automatically when we registered for Earthlink. The virus infected her PC while we where attempting to register and install her anti-virus software. We are not so computer savvy and we've been at our wits end over this. It's affecting her business as she should have email capabilities to function properly in hew work. We're pissed.

8. :D

On the Sasser thing - turn on your firewall. It's in Control Panel --> Network Connections. Right-click your network connection and select 'Properties'. You'll see it in there.

Then go here -

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp

There's a button there you can click to try and remove Sasser - after that, download the patch and install it - and you should be fine. I do this stuff for a living :)

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, so do I. We follow the exact same procedure. We turn on the firewall on all new PCs/laptops when we image them. Somehow it gets turned off. The users never own up to it either. :D

I don't want to join the MS vs. OS war, but I am quite fond of MS.

-Mike

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I think I'll get it figured out tonight. No firewall (yet) we couldn't get the anti virus installed before we caught the worm. The big problem has been that I can't go online (to download patches or register and install norton antivirus) ..as soon as it tries to connect to the web the system shuts down (in 60 seconds)

Baba suggested that I go looking for avserve.exe, avserve2.exe, and *_up.exe files in the task manager under the process tab and end those processes and then go to the Windows folder and find and delete avserve.exe and avserve2.exe files and then to the system 32 folder to delete and *_up.exe files.

somebody else recomended I open a command window from the run option under the start menu and use "shutdown-a" to abort the automated shutdown

...I'm learning, but I am about ready to get out my computer mallet if I don't get it fixed soon.

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    typing "shutdown -a" in the run app stops the 60 second shutdown.