Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For all you session players.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Limo, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I'm curious, how many basses do you take to your sessions, which one of your basses do you always take with you and which bass is "The Session Bass" in your opinion??

I take my Lakland 5 string because it's one of the most versatile bass I've ever had.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Fender MIJ '75 reissue and a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 5.

3. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    An old Fender P is "The Session Bass" in the ears of just abot every engineer I've met, and I'm beginning to agree with him as I gain more and more experience.

My band is in the studio right now trying to finish a CD, and I working with a flatwound P, and a Roundwound Stingray. I can get just about all the tones I need out of those two. I mean, come on, it is a rock gig. ;)

4. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

actually I now get a lot of "speciality" calls, due to my use of a Godin ABG, and I do requests for that bass (esp. if they need URB emulatiuon).

But, the main one, is and has been my flatwound strung '67 P-bass. Usually just that and my Avalon U5.

If they are requesting a more modern sound, then there are several basses I can choose from, and usually I bring them all. A Godin fretless A5, fretted A4, Godin BG4 w/emgs, Tobias Classic 5 w/Barts, '67 P bass, MTD Saratoga, Epi Jack Casady Sig Model, Modulus Vintage J.

Max

5. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Nowdays I usually carry two fretted basses, most commonly a jazz and a precision, passive, maple boards, both strung with roundwounds.

A couple of years ago I often brought five-six basses, amongst them a five-string, a fretless, a precision with flats and a jazz with EMG's.

I gradually discovered what most producers were looking for, and after a while I noticed that 90% of my work was best suited for passive four-strings.
    It also, to some extent, has to do with your abillity to handle the producer. Sometimes his ideas of which bass to use are relevant, sometimes they are just a load of crap. Most of the time you are right, though and have to convince him about that in a polite fashion. :)

I usually record my basses though a sadowsky preamp and a sansamp DI, unless the engineer has strong feelings about it being made some other way. I often bring an amp, either an old bassman with a 15" cabinet or my SWR wm 12, but I rarely get to use it.

Generally I have to say that I tend to have one favourite bass at the time that I favor for recording. For the past 6 months it has been my '51 P reissue, which has lovely tone and sustain, although being a tad too muddy for some work. My '75 P is getting out of its case more and more, though...:D

6. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Arizona
    ...on what the gig is you're called for.
    A Lakland is a good choice if you're going in blind. It's true that most producers want the bass tracks to be the simplest of them all. That's why they feel comfortable in the passive Fender bass zone. Hey, nothing wrong with the tried and true, not to mention excellent tone these basses have produced time and time again. It's good to have that option available. If you get a studio call do your best to find out as much info as you can about the production. Talk to the producer and artist before the gig if you can. The more you know about the gig the easier it will be decide what to load your gig bag up with before you go.

7. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Amen.
    Although many producers seem to have a difficult time explaining their musical intentions over the phone (some of them otherwise as well!) - so the safest way to go is to bing a "neutral" bass as well.

For example, if I get a call to play fretless, there is no chance in hell that I go to the session without a fretted 4-string as well. The odds of the producer changing his mind, and you hearing "nah, I don't like the sound of that" in your headphones are pretty low.

Do I sound cynical? :D

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Are you a pro session player, Woodchuck?

9. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Spector usa 5 string, old warwick corvette pro, And fender frettless jazz. Yeah it all depends on what i am doing. But i would say i use the spector most of the time! It is so nice for that smooth jazz sound. I use the warwick for a nasty funk sound.

10. I wish I had a session to bring a bass TO!!

:(

11. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    to the 6 or so sessions I have done... I took my Zon Sonus 4 fretless with the super Joe electronics... :)

12. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    I hope you get one! :)

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well, are you? :D

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I'm actually a signed artist, but I do alot of session work.

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ahh, nice. Are you signed as a band, or are you doing your own thang?

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    My band, El Pus, is signed to Virgin. It's a both frustrating and interesting life. The waiting is the frustrating part. :mad: