Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

for all you true gearheads...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, May 8, 2002.

1. just out of curiosity, has anyone or could someone do this. Have thier bass output split into say 4 tracks, each track has an effect unit assigned to it, like so,
    Track 1-Clean sound
    Track 2-a modulation box(chorus, phaser)
    Track 3-a distortion box
    Track 4-envelope filter

Have the output of this mixer go to your amp or PA or something.

What I am wondering is, is this possible? I figure if you could do this then you could not only turn each effect off, you could mix them together, EQ each individual track or bass sound and probably a bunch of other things. what do you think, i highly doubt i would ever do this unless the rewards were huge because of the money that would be involved but i dont have to pay to dream.... ah, i can just see it now :) what do you guys think?

later, nate

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You should check out the lightwave system, you can split signals by string! Otherwise, yes, it's possible with some type of router or by using a mixer.

3. Oh yeah, that's possible.
    A splitter and an audio mixer, EH makes a mixer you could use and so does Raven Labs. Finding a splitting device that does a quad signal, but I'm sure you could get better ones in a rackmount... I've been wanting to do that for a while,
    #1. Clean
    #2. Ringmod and/or pink and white noise generator.
    #3. Envelope filter or resonate filter.
    #4. Octave and/or fuzz.

4. benevan

benevan

May 2, 2002
    Memphis
    Would this be the same as simply running the pedals in parallel using a signal splitter?

5. It's easy to do that if you record to hard disc.
    Record the bass track clean.
    Copy and duplicated it several times (like on a word processor).
    Process each track the way you like with soft-ware plugins or hard-ware outboard gear.

6. got a question for someone who knows how this stuff works, if i were to do this would I need a power amp or something? basically i am thinking, bass into signal splitter into mixer out mixer into PA. what do you think? would i need to get a power amp? Thanks, Nate

7. bump

so is this possible?

thanks

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's possible. I go through a SABDDI to the PA every week at rehearsal. You need PA speakers that can handle bass well (we have Mackie 1530's that are fine). To do it the way you want, I'd first go into some kind of simple preamp (something with a level control or gain stage, eg. SABDDI or Raven gizmo) to make sure you have enough signal, then just get a passive 4-way splitter to send one output to each of your effect doo-dads. Then run each of the effect outputs to its own channel on the PA. Once you get the chain set up, solo each channel and try to get the input gain at the mixer close to the same level (by adjusting each device's level or gain control) so you don't have your PA faders all over the place. Then mix as desired at the PA.

9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Bootsy Collins has four outputs on his custom made Space Basses. He runs one clean, and the other three each have their own signal chain with different effects.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it wouldn't be too difficult to get a small mixer to do what you are wanting to do.