Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For all you wishbass haters...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by avenger86, Mar 6, 2005.

1. avenger86

avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    My Wishbass is finally completed! I know most people are major haters of wish's work, but this was a huge project which cost more than the usual Wishbass. I should be getting it in about a week. From the pictures I see none of the mistakes you guys have clamed Wish to make...so we shall truely see when the bass arives. Tell me what ya'll think! btw, yes, it's a 6 string :)

Wishbass Front Wishbass Headstock Wishbass Back

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Looks like he's getting better at it. But check out how some of the strings rub against the wood of the headstock before they get to the nut. Also the bass appears to be missing his signature aluminum control panel.

3. avenger86

avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    yeah, I noticed the headstock thing. If it does cause a problem tone-wise then I can fix it somehow. The control panel is different because that is how I specified it to be, I am definetaly not a fan of his usual control panel work, so I avoided it. Most of his problems plague his cheap basses and are most likely because they are finished quickly. My bass was started back in late October, he has put a lot of time into it.

4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    It does look MUCH better than his usual fare. I really HATE his headstock, and there's something about this one that I hate more than usual, I think it's the Black and purple blocks at the top. But that's an opinion thing, I see two things that it's difficult to say for sure from the photos but may affect it's playability. The outer 2 strings also look like they come VERY close if not actually being farther out than the frets would safely cover, and several of the frets (23rd and 24th in the front photo and the zero fret on the headstock photo) don't look exactly square. Again this MIGHT be just the perspective of the photo, and I only noticed it due to his previous reputation. I'll be delighted to hear if my eyes and the photo decieved me.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    is not the neck pickup a little bit.... as I can say... not that parallael to the frets?

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That could very well be intentional. The 23rd fret thing, I'm not so sure about. It's pretty noticeably off.

7. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Hmm, this one doesn't so bad actually, except for the headstock. God, that headstock. :bawl:

Post a review when it arrives!

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i could NEVER buy a bass without a truss rod.

9. avenger86

avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    I already knew what the headstock would be like and I'm not much of a fan either...but it is something I can get over really fast. I shall post a review once I get it.
    As far as a truss rod, I am pretty sure it has one. I can't tell if it is there from the pic but it should be...

10. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Thats bass looks really good. and the fretworks looks nice

And FYI for those who dont no, wish can and will give you a diffrentheadstock if you ask for it.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    [​IMG]

I agree, the headstock is atrocious. I would ask Wish to round it out so there's none or that reddish wood at the end. Otherwise it's the least sucky of all Wishes I've seen. Congrats.

So how much did that set you back?

12. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
    Since you ask, and no offense is intended, I agree with previous posters - if this were my bass, I think I would have problems with the bottom and top strings being too close to the edge of the fretboard. I can see the strings slipping off when digging in. Wish just seems like a complete clown to me. Is it too much trouble to ask him to invest in a ruler and measure distances. It always looks like he eyeballs things, e.g., the neck pick-up angle might be intentional, but I sincerely doubt it. Likewise, the end of the fretboard. Is he trying to mimick the P/U angle. Also, look at the spacing of the tuning pegs on the bass side, compared to the treble side. They look to be slightly different (use the ruler Wish). Everything I have read suggests that his side position markers (um ... nails) on his fretless basses are an approximation at best, so who knows what he does with his fretwork. The 23rd fret does indeed look funny, and there appears to be a gouge between the 23rd and 24th frets. The strings rubbing on the wood at the neck - jeez, c'mon, and look at the break angle and string path over the nut for the center two strings. Love the gouge in the woodwork on the treble side of the headstock - very nice, and the decorative woodwork at the tip of the headstock. What bodge is that trying to conceal? Is this bridge pick-up not too close to the bridge - I wonder if there is enough vibrating string relative to the bridge saddles? Ah well, the only thing that matters is that you like the bass - good luck, and do let us know how it plays and sounds.

13. avenger86

avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    It set me back about $720.
    I respect the opinions of all of you and I must admit, it seems to have it's flaws. But none-the-less it seems like this bass will be very playable and I can't wait to recieve it.

14. I like it... Would love to hear some sound samples when you get it. Looks like Mr. W. is almost there, I dig the neck woods color combo :D

15. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, it does look like a nice specimen. :bassist:

16. i like wishy's...especially the peanuts....and those headstocks....mmmmmmm

17. I'll give him kudos for giving it a very nice heel/body transition. That's a place where Wish gets lazy with his "down and dirty" versions and this one shows the time and thought it deserves.

18. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I was just noticing the ruler in the background of the first picture, before I read this.

I agree that this is the nicest Wish yet, but there's still a long way to go.

Congrats on the new bass, avenger.

19. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Something else I was just wondering. Did you select the body style, pickups and fret specs. The main reason I'm asking is I was wondering about the deep lower cutout. I can see that deep cutout on his hyperbass knockoffs with 3 octave boards and one pickup, but having the neck pup causes the cutout to angle out early, and the only advantage of the deep cutout (other than aesthetics, which is why I ask if you selected it) would be to allow you to fret the 24th fret with your first finger. But the reasons to want to do that are escaping me.

[​IMG]

20. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I love it. Sweet! Congrats!