1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For all you wood experts

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by gr8estbassist, Nov 15, 2006.

1. gr8estbassist

gr8estbassist Guest

Oct 9, 2004
    South East
    Do any of you know about Andiroba (bastard mohogany)?

http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Me...een=CTGY&Store_Code=WS&Category_Code=Andiroba

i just recently started working at a cabinet shop and they have loads of it. they also have poplar and maple among others. it is kind of a high end shop so they do get in nice woods sometimes like walnut.

i was thinking about building a body out of it.

what do ya think?

could i just finish it with danish oil?

thanks guys!

2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I used an acrylized piece from Larry Davis as a fingerboard for my first bass. I had never heard of it, nor seen it, until Larry sent me a few pictures. I really enjoy the look of it, but the actual properties of the wood are somewhat hidden by the fact that it had acrylic sucked into its pores. So, I'm not of much help in that area.

Of course, the wood doesn't exist without pictures, right? It was hard to photograph because of the amount of figuring, but here are a couple of decent pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
  4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I say "go for it".

Almost any wood is good for a body
    medium/low density wood is better
    and free wood is best of all.

(to elaborate on eleonn's post, walnut is a resonable density, so andiroba is too, and higher Janka means better dent/wear resistance, which is good!)

5. Give it a shot....so long as you don't mind using a wood with many names, one of them being Krappa....