1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Any Incubus Fans...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JBass1, Feb 20, 2008.

1. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    Dirk Lance or Ben Kenney?

for me, Dirk's style can't be touched by Ben in the realm of Incubus, and ever since he left, Incubus has lost a part of their roots that they have not been able to get back with Ben in the mix...(coincidentally, Ben left The Roots to come play with Incubus)

The last two albums with Ben on them have been mediocre at best IMHO and cannot come close to their first four..just wondering what you guys think

BTW i really dont care that Ben can't slap, that has little to do with it (though it does piss me off when they play A Certain Shade of Green live and Ben is silent during the verse)

2. I agree...i do think that the new guy is good, but i was telling a guy at work, just today, that i liked the old bass player better... I have seen live videos of Ben and actually saw Dirk live, and i really liked Dirk better...And AMEN on Green...i love that tune and it is just not the same anymore live

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Interesting choice of forum....

4. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC

?

5. Well you posted a thread about Dirk Lance and Incubus in a forum about basses... There is a forum about bassits for this sole purpose.

6. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC

right but i didnt really want to know anything about the bassists themselves..i wanted to know which one people prefer and why

but mods, just move it i guess

7. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I think the point he is trying to make unless your talking about Dirks or Bens bass then it doesnt belong in this forum. Since your talking about bassists it belongs in bassists hence the name.

8. reverb508

reverb508

Jan 6, 2008
    I'm kinda on the fence about who I like better. Dirk had better chops for sure, but he really dominated the sound of the band. I think Ben plays better with others.

As for the album quality, I don't think thats a product of Dirk leaving, but rather a result of their maturation as a band. They're in their 30's now. I think it would be pretty absurd if they did a album in the vein of SCIENCE, or, to a lesser degree, Make Yourself. They're kinda doing what the Chili Pepper's have been doing for the past few years, adopting a more laid back sound.

9. I actually used my pc's voice cancellation one night because I wanted to listen to Incubus without the annoying vocals, this may seem out of place but do they do any instrumental songs? It's a shame that (IMHO) a supposedly great band can be ruined by the singer.

10. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    Battlestar Scralatchtica

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont know why you think brandon boyd is a bad singer, hes one of my favorites, especially on the new stuff.

I like ben kenney better. Strange, I know. I used to like Dirk, when I was younger and all i liked was funky rock where the bassist played flashy lines. Ive matured in my musical interests over the past 5 years and I find Ben to be an amazing player with great feel and taste.

As far as which incubus cds are best, SCIENCE is awesome. Probably my favorite. That being said, ACLOTM and Light Grenades are very enjoyable as well. I used to hate morning view and make yourself, but ive actually grown to like them as well. Everything this band has done pleases me in one way or another. I think its great to see them grow as mature as a band. They arent young guys anymore and I think it makes sense for them to not be playing that rapcore rock they used to play in the days of fungus.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I think Ben is a better musician, but Alex fit the band's older sound better. However; now that they've matured, who knows?

13. Continuum

Continuum

Oct 31, 2005
    I disagree Ben's definitely not a better musician. He's a decent guitar player and a novice on bass. When I saw them last August, he'd start improvising, hendrix-ing on bass and the bottom would drop completely out, it was terrible. I wasn't a fan of the Fungus Amongus or SCIENCE Incubus but Make Yourself and Morning View were for sure their best albums to date. When Dirk left, the equation changed, I think it was for the worst. Based on the way record sales are going for them since he left, it seems that all the fans agree. BRING BACK DIRK!

14. DIRK LANCE till' I die. Haven't listened to anything Incubus has done since he left the band. Much love for Alex.

15. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    There are Incubus fans!?

16. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    First, yes this should be moved to the Bassists forum.

Second, Dirk Lance all the way... But I really haven't listened to Incubus since the album after S.C.I.E.N.C.E. (I can't even remember the name of it). Though I don't play too much rock anymore Dirk's (or Alex's) playing in the Science album was very influencial and helped me switch from guitar to bass - it was then I realized that the bass didn't always have to follow the guitar to fit it a rock/metal band - then of course I started to dig and found more bands/bassists. Great player!

Science is a great album altogether, from the whole band - it's a shame that in an interview I read the guitarist said that the album didn't accurately represent the band and that the newer albums were more accurate. Too bad, I thought they lost "it" after that album, IMHO.

17. Both are very good.

Dirk had a very upfront style, awesome tone and played some wicked lines. I love old school Incubus, and SCIENCE is one of my favorite albums period.

Ben has written some very mature lines, though. He has a great sense for melody, goes for something a bit more understated. Dig is a fantastic piece of work, for example.

OK, both are great!

18. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Dirk...

19. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Dirk fit the band better but Ben is an overall Better musician

20. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I was very dissapointed when I heard that Dirk left. The first single I heard from whatever album they released after Morningview was enough to make me immediately lose all interest in them. The old stuff is glorious though, it had a big impact on me when I was younger.