Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For any TB'ers who have seizures

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I had another seizure yesterday. It's my second. My first happened last August and was a grand mal and I wasn't aware during it. They found that I had a lesion deep in my brain on the part that controls speech and the motor controls for the right side of my body. It's a possible low grade brain tumor, but thankfully it hasn't grown it the past year.

I remained completely aware during this seizure and it was the scariest experience of my life. I couldn't breath for a solid minute. I thought I was gonna suffocate. My mom was holding me and I wanted to say I can't breath but I couldn't speak or move. I was finally able to take very shallow quick breaths before I passed out.

It turns out my liver has been working too good and my medicine that stops seizures had gotten too low. It's now been increased (again) to 1000 mg a day.

All I could think about laying in the hospital bed was I hope my plucking hand's OK. The first thing I did when I got home was force myself to play Wicked Garded by STP even though I was dead tired and had a splitting headache. All was well :) .

I will never be able to drink alcohol again as it lowers my seizure threshold (I don't know whether to be happy or sad). I guess I'll adapt. I'm also scared to death to drive now. My mom will be driving me to school for the next 6 months.

My question to any TB'ers who have seizures is this: Do you ever get used to it? Are you aware? Are you able to breathe? Do you panic everytime or do you know it'll be over soon and remain somewhat calm?

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im sorry to hear that. Its good to know you can still play though. Alcohol isnt good for you anyways.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i dont have seizures but i've worked with several individuals who have them. Its not terribly common to remain aware during them, did the doctors indicate what kind this second one was? (i.e., tonic clonic/"grand mal", complex partial, etc). It's also pretty common for individuals to experiance an "aura", where they start to feel a seziure coming on and can prepare for it. The search for the correct dosage of anticonvulsant is usually a semi long process, so dont feel too bad. Drugs like depakote and tegretol operate by having a blood level over a certain threshold, but underneath a toxic level. Every individual metabolizes them differently, and every individual responds to a different blood level. The trick is to have the patient on the smallestamount of the medicartion that is still effective. Blood tests will generally be somewhere around every 3 months for life, not only to monitor the level of the medication, but to monitor various liver functions as mostof these medication can cause liver damage. The tests generally catch it before it gets too bad, and you can switch medications. Side effects of the various medication are usually temporary, but they can cause you to get pretty tired. I was on depakote for mood stabilization (i have depression) for a while and it knocked me out.
    Good luck squiddy.........you'll be ok :) :)

4. Can someone possibly explain the different types of seizures to me? I'm just curious. I was snowboarding once in Maine and I got off the lift and there was a man having a seiziure at the bottom of the ramp with the ski patrol all around him. I looked in his eyes and I hoped to god he was alright.

5. i do sometimes but they're always combined with searches. :mad:

6. Is that some terribly unwitty attempt at humor?

7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Ivanmike, it was a complex partial. I did experience an "aura" before the seizure where I felt it coming on. I was in a room surrounded by my family members and tried to say help but by then it was too late and I couldn't speak. I actually had a small hallucination where I saw W's coming out of my Aunt Betty's forehead before the sezure came on. :confused:

I'm on Depakote and they say my liver is fine. The doctor told me he likes to keep the Depakote level at 70-90. Mine was 40 at the time. He say the current increase in medication will raise it to about 60.

8. whenever i have a seizure, i have hallucinations right before i go into it, then when i'm in it, i have these dreams, they aren't really relevent to anything, but they aways have something to do with where we are or whats going on.i usually get really hot and kinda dizzy before i have one, so i know its comming. the doctors never figured out why i have them, they belive it may have something to do with my blood sugar levels, i also cannot drink alcohol due to this. i've had them for about 8 years now, i've gotten used to it. you'll learn to be more calm about things, its better to not freak out. as for driving, i am still al ittle scared, but its not a big deal. over time you'll catch on to little patterns. good luck, and sorry to hear about that.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Low blood sugar or high blood sugar levels? It should be pretty easy to feel if your blood sugar is high or low if you know what to look for. Maybe you can learn to prevent them if you start becomming more aware of whats happening.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i googled it and found ya a general description of the seizure types
    generally the only time a person is in serious trouble is when they gointo "status epilepticus", where they have seizure after seizure or one seizure that is extremly long
    seizure types

11. :( seizure are horrible, best of luck to you, i've seen too many people have them...

:(