For anyone who thinks they are too old for bass..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LoJoe, Oct 4, 2003.

1. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Tonight was a great experience for a guy like me who sometimes gets depressed that I just took up bass last year at the ripe old age of 44. I went to a local outdoor music festival tonight. It was a mix of various country and gospel groups. The closing act was the WBT Briarhoppers They were basically a group of octagenarians who have been around since the time of Moses making bluegrass music. I paid particular attention to the bass player Don White. He seemed especially frail and had to be helped up onto the stage. Once he strapped on his bass however it was another story. He had a vintage Gibson 4 string fretted that looked older than me. The headstock looked like it had been snacked on by a few termites and the color of the instrument was fading. The combination of these two was feeble and frail in appearance only though. He proceeded to lay down some bass lines that flowed as warmly and smoothly as melting butter. While there was certainly no slapping and popping going on, he was in the pocket, and walking up and down the neck like nobody's business. After their set, which received a standing ovation. He was introduced to the crowd as the oldest and only original member of the group. This fine bass player turned out to be 94 Years Old!!! :eek: At my age it did my heart good to see someone with 50 years on me still laying down the groove. What a a great night.
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    the briarhoppers in 1936... [​IMG]

October 2001... [​IMG]
  3. Crikey! try making the picture a bit smaller would ya!!!