1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For anyone who's considering banjo..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by garth elson, Dec 26, 2006.

1. garth elson

garth elson

Aug 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
  2. war_n_peace

war_n_peace

Aug 9, 2006
    USA

It may have come before the first Electric Bass Guitar
    but certainly not before the Upright Bass....

3. garth elson

garth elson

Aug 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    well spotted, sir. P-bass started production in '51, upright's been around since the days of the egyptians (citation required).

4. Hapes-Nova

Hapes-Nova

Jun 11, 2006
    the banjo was definitely around before the electric bass/bass guitar.

regarding the upright bass though, i have no idea. both the banjo and upright bass are really old instruments.

-dennis

5. upright is older than the banjo, which is older than the bass guitar

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Just remember this kid.....

[​IMG]

7. thumbin

thumbin

Dec 20, 2006
    Oregon City, OR
    goldtone also makes a nice lil bass banjo which is also available in fretless... suppose to be good for slapbass...

8. I want to hear some clips!

9. TBalls

TBalls

Mar 18, 2005
    Boston
    I think there's an important distinction to note here (and I apologize if I'm stating the obvious): This is a BASS banjo -- i.e. lower than a standard banjo. Now, an electric banjo bass (a banjo-ized version of a bass guitar), while not the same, would definitely be pretty cool.
    Come to think of it, doesn't Victor Wooten have one?

10. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I'm tempted to bid on this one... I owned one before. Tuned it CGDA like a violoncello. Very nice instrument, the lower end sounds sort of like a Danelectro bass. Sold it mostly because I needed to unload lots of stuff to make moving across the ocean easier. It made a good portable bass - didn't have the low end thickness of a DB but was plenty loud and percussive enough to drive a small acoustic band.

What British makers called "bass banjo" would be equivalent to Gibson's "cello banjo". Their "contrabass banjo" and Gibson's "bass banjo" had the size and tuning of a DB. I've seen a few of those pass through Ebay, all needed work before they could be playable. I've been told that the Gibsons are very heavy and not very useful but the I know the Windsors are larger and lighter in construction so maybe they are musically useful.

Does anybody know if there's any contrabass banjo on Fairport Convention albums? There's one in a couple of band photos in the "Unhalfbricking" CD booklet...

11. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    FWIW it sold for 445 pounds (~ US $871.58) - a bit more than I sold mine for in 2004. I paid $450 for it but the guy I bought it from told me he bought it from Bernunzio a few years earlier for $850. So the market value on Windsor bass/cello banjos appears to be pretty steady for such a thin market...