1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Band: Mixer + Speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by r6mile, Apr 16, 2006.

1. I have a band and we just did our first paid gig. So we were thinking on investing the money on something that would allow us to be independent (not having to rent equipment and speakers). So we thought of buying a mixer with at least 10 inputs (something like the Behringer UB1002), and some speakers (we still don't know how much power we need). What do you think?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You're in the wrong place. Try the LabLounge of the PSW forum, www.prosoundweb.com.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Used Mackie 1204 or 1402 vlz-pro will setup you back between 125 and 200 depending on how hard you shop. There are lot's of them out there used and they are well built. You'll want a reverb of some kind. Again, start used with anything from an Alesis Nano-verb at $50 to a Lexicon MPX110 at $100 used.

You'll need an EQ as well a 2x15 band used (there is a dbx like that in the GFS for $75)

For Speakers. Think about self powered. JBL EON 15's Series 1 about $500 a set used. Tripods about $100. (I'd ike a set of Series 2's as they are more powerfull but they are not really showing up in the used market yet and they'll be more expensive when they do...)

Monitors, Depending on the number of singers... A third EON, maybe the 10 if you only need 1, maybe a pair, maybe three if necessary...

You'll need a small rack of course.

All that stuff is good quality, well built and pretty available in the used market. It's gear that will stand up to some abuse so buying used isn't a bad option. The EON's

Be a little patient and you can do the mains for say - $1200. Monitors in the used EON 10's at maybe $250 a throw.

Mackie sm350's are really too new to find used yet, sm450's show up but aren't cheap when they do typically.

You can also look at going passive and adding power amps but An inexpensive set of trapazoids is not cheap and then you have to buy an amp, maybe a crossover... I was there and migrated to EON's for my uses they make a lot of sense. They'll cover the vast majority of small to medium gig's that I do and for larger show's there is generally a system provided or if the economics are right for us to do it, we can rent.

EON 15's also 'kick-back for use as a monitor. If you want to go the passive route look up a company called CGM. Thy make inexpensive passive Main's & monitors. Their 12 " flooor monitor now has a pole mount so it can go either way.

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I bought a really nice Carvin "Club Series" system a few years back. You should check out Carvin's web site. The system I bought included a 12 channel, 1000 watt powered mixer with built in effects processor (333 watts to either main, and 333 watts for the monitors), two 3 way (15", 8", horn) speakers, two 12" wedge monitors, 2 nice Carvin mic's, 2 tripod stands and all the cables - very nice ones. So, a complete PA system that sounds really good. The cost was about $1800 new, including shipping.

5. You just can't go wrong with Mackie.You can spend a lot more money and get a REAl advanced rig,but its hard not to like a mackie. Very clean,Very versatile,VERY reputable. Speakers will make you or break you. Try before you buy. Peavey stuff is known for its durability,but sounds a little harsh when they get pushed .JBL.,Electro Voice are old standards in sound re-enforcement.Don't skimp on the # of channels on the mixer,You'll be surprised how quickly they get used up.Will you be using sub woofers? This makes a BIG diference on power consumption and which "main" enclosures to go with. No subs ,look at "mains" with a 15 and a horn. With Subs I prefer a main with 2x12"s and a horn . Seems to give smoother mids to me.Lots of choices. Definatly need to do a lot of homework.I did pro sound for about 5 years and would be happy to share my experience and opinionswith you.And ,no, I don't work at a music store. But I see a lot of people doin' an awful lot of silly things out there.No need for you to be one of them.:cool:

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Actually you can... some of their lower end stuff is not all that great. The vlz Pro's are well built good sounding mixers though and at the price in the used market, they are a steal. About the number of channels. I wouldn't get too wild yet. If you start with a 1202, then down the road you can use it to sub-mix drums, key's etc. Flip the output switch to mic level (from line) and take it into a channel on a 1402 or 1604, etc ...

The very first thing you should do is to carefullly examine what your REAL needs are. If it's vocal's alone, then don't worry about sub's... Look at your available transortation. I can move 2 EONs, 2 Bag End Cab's, Pa & Bass racks, tripod stands, mic stand, a music stand, my hand truck and my basses - in the back of my Subaru Outback ...

I just sold off some really kick-@ss PA bins and have another set on the block as the first set was overkill and too large to move without a truck and the second set are passive so I need a bigger, heavier rack... I did not do the realism test up front so now I'm re-gearing along lines that actually support what I'm doing. I got lucky this time and didn't get stung hard financially but I would not want to make a habit of this...

7. Is it really necessary to have all those monitors, equalizers, and stuff, or would a simple mixer like the Behringer UB1202 (that's the model I'm interested in) work?
    I don't need (and I don't have the money for) super high quality gear.

What's the difference between active speakers and passive speakers? And powered speakers?

Does a mixer with sound effects allow to set up effects independently for each track, or does it apply the effect to all the instruments/mics?

8. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    No, you don't need all that stuff. But it can be very useful.

You WILL need a mixer, an amp, mics, cables for mics and speakers, mic stands and speakers.

Monitors are very, very imortant but you can work without them just to start. I did. It was rough but possible. They should probably be your next purchase though.

Instead of the UB1202 I would get the UB1202FX. That way you have a built in fx processor, eliminating the need for an outboard processor. It is definitely worth the extra $20.

Click here.

As far as "Will it work?", that depends. If it has enough I/O for your band, then the answer is yes.

Active speakers and powered speakers are the same thing. They have built in amps. Passive speakers do not have a built in amp. They need an external power amp.

Generally they are for all the instuments/mics.

It sounds like you are just starting out and have a very limited budget. Is this correct?

What is your budget?

:D

Joe.

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Personally.. I'd ask yourself if you really need the gear.. Have you played many gigs in the past that required you to hire PA?

In 2 years of gigging different venues with my band, i've yet to come across any that didn't supply SOME sort of PA.

10. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Like many others here I'm not a huge Behringer fan, although I have owned a couple of their small mixers.

Now I own a coulple of the Alesis MultiMix 8 mixers and highly recommend them to someone looking for a small mixer.

They also make a 12 channel and 16 channel version.

These mixers come with a built in digital effects unit that you can mix for each channel independently.

You would also need at least a power amp and some speakers, or a pair of powered speakers, which have built in power amps.

11. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    That's a good question. If you live in an area where a decent P.A. is supplied then there is no need to buy one.

However my experience has been very different. Very few gigs that I have played included some kind of P.A. That means for almost all gigs we used our own P.A.

There has been some discussion about this in the past. Around here, places with P.A.'s seem to be either churches or very large events. Most bars around have no kind of P.A. at all. And if you play an event with the P.A. supplied it is only geared towards vocal speech as opposed to vocal reproduction for music. And you can forget about playing your bass through it!

This just boils down to knowing what your needs are. What you WANT may be totally different.

The little mixer you are looking at WILL drive a power amp for a P.A. or a pair of powered speakers with no problem. Just make sure that it covers your NEEDS. The biggest concern probably being the number of channels. Are there enough? Make sure! Having 12 inputs is NOT the same as 12 mic channels! A mic channel is only ONE kind of input.

:D

Joe.

12. Well the thing is that where I live (Islamabad, Pakistan), you can rent anything you want, but they don't let you use it unless they send a guy to check and stuff, and those guys don't know anything about mixers (even if it's their own gear), so they mess up. I had a bad experience, trust me. So I prefer to have my own gear.

For the sound effects, is it possible to for example, put a distorsion for the guitar and an overdrive for the bass, or something like that? Isn't it better to have pedals (we already have some)?

The Behringer UB1202 that I've been looking at has 4 mic inputs, and 4 stereo channels (two inputs for each channel, left and right), so I guess I put the mics on their own mic inputs, then the two rythmics on the same channel, the bass on its own channel, the keyboard on its own channel, and the lead guitar on its own channel. That will work won't it?

So what do I need to get started? Besides the instruments, mics, cables, stands, etc... basically I need a mixer, an amp, and a pair of speakers, is that right?
    I have one of those old (but very good) Technics stereo systems, the ones that have a separate amp, and the kind of speakers with black and red cables. Will that allow me to get started (I don't have the money to buy everything at once)?

13. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Look at this mixer and I think you may find it good for your application. I have two of them, one with a usb connection, which allows it to be used for direct recording to your computer.
    Code:
    http://www.docksdelamusique.com/administrer/images/articles/docksdel_bdd1-laboitenoire/ALESIS/RAL-MULTIMIX8FX-B.jpg
    The one trade off between the UB1202 and the MultiMix 8 is you lose two channels, but you get full EQ on all channels with the Alesis.

14. This mixer looks pretty good, but I need all the channels that the Behringer UB1202 has.

15. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
  16. Whoa, I like that mixer. Does it have sound effects included, because I don't need any...

About the amp, do I need a special amp, or does one of those old good stereo amps work?

17. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    call sweetwater. ask them, they will give good suggestions without the pressure to buy.

18. Well I think the call from where I live would be a little expensive, so I guess I won't call lol
    Can I use one of those stero amps (I know maybe it won't hold too much power but that's not an issue right now)? Would normal stereo speakers (the ones with the black and red cables) work?

19. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    That mixer does have built in digital effects but for the price it's hard to beat and it has a great EQ section on each channel.

For a power amp you'll definitely be best off using a professional power amp.

You should tell us what kind of music your playing, how many members in the band, what instruments, where you'll be playing and how loud.

If you can tell us all that it'll be much easier to offer suggestions.

20. Well we're going to plug:
    2-4 mics
    2 rythmic guitars
    1 lead guitar
    1 keyboard
    1 bass

We have 6 people in the band, lead guitar, 2 rythmics, bass/vocals, keyboard/vocals, drums, but the rythmics can also do backup vocals.
    Now that I think about it, I think it would be better to have some sound effects, even if we have pedals.

I know it would be better to have a professional power amp, but the money is an issue :meh:

I guess we will be playing in many different places, indoors and outdoors, in front of 50-70 people. How loud, I really don't know.

We play basically rock&roll music, not too soft, not too hard.