Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For bass, what are u most proud of yourself for?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rhcp17, May 20, 2002.

1. rhcp17

rhcp17

Oct 1, 2001
    pennsylvania usa
    Im curious to know what u guys are proud of yourself for learning,doing, teaching, whatever. Im just curious and really bored. it doesnt have to be fancy cause mine isnt, but i just learned to play the song blackeyed blond by the chili peppers in a few hours the other night. Nothing real special, but i was a little overwhelmed trying to figure it out, cause im not very good. But what have you guys done that ur proud of?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The thing that I am the proudest of is the fact that I can be a good supporting bassist in an ensemble.

Don't get me wrong, I like slapping, tapping and soloing, but there are too many hotshots out there who can play every Primus lick in the book, but can't hold a groove to save their life. A lot of them hang out at Guitar Center.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My Dad thinks I'm good.

4. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i'm probably the most proud that i chose bas over guitar. it was one or the other, and i made the right choice. hehe

5. having some sort of actual music talent. almost all the "musicians" i know call themselve musicians and they only read tabs and some barely even do that. it's been nearly two years and i'm quite far from even calling myself a bassist. i've been told that i intimidate but it can't be because i'm mean because i'm quite a passive person.

6. I have to second Jazzbo. Having support and recognition from my father (a blues guitarist) has made me more proud than any other accomplishment of mine. Without the respect and interest he showed in my musicianship, I doubt that I would even be playing at all today.

Then there are reviews like this one:

http://hometown.aol.com/nammedol/bedraggled102601.html

:D

~Ad

7. What IS pride ? pride is the opposite of shame.. so therefore..everything you are now ashamed of.. you are proud of ?!

If so..then :

i am proud to be alive.. I am proud to be a mammol.. i am proud to be male.. i am proud to have the skincolour that i was given ( non racist intention ).. i am proud to be 23 years old.. i am proud to be able to live my life the way i want to ( within the limits of the law ofcourse ).. i am proud to work, to earn my own money instead of living on other people's expenses.. i am proud to play bass ( or at least try to ).. i am proud that i haven't had breakfast this morning, and yet don't feel hungry.. i am proud that i was given the privilege to live on this specific planet ( alltho i often wish i was on another planet ).. etc, etc..

to make it short..

I take pride in everything i do..

does that answer your question ? :)

8. I´m proud that my dad (who I consider avery good music listener) is proud of his son as a bass player. :D

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    ;)

I'm proud over my (resonably) good ear, my good sense of time and my ghost note technique. Those are what I do best, or at least I think so. Oh, I'm pretty good in a band, too. :D

10. Basman

Basman

Mar 27, 2002
    Holland
    My moment of pride was when I was jamming with a drummer I had admired for years and he complemented and thanked me for "the groovy steady bass" I was playing. That was the first time I saw myself as a musician.

11. I am proud of my stubborn individuality as a bassist.

12. I'm proud that, after almost two years of playing, only five lessons, three bands, and one crappy little 12 watt combo, I know as much as (if not more about) music and technique than most of my friends who've played their instruments for +3 years.

Oh, I can hold a solid groove, too. :D

13. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I'm proud of a few things but this is my crowning achievement,
    [​IMG]

Debut CD from my original band and is my first real recording in 25 years of playing.
    Like X-man said to me I feel like a proud Papa!:D

14. Ill tell you guys somethin. I had only been playin like 9 months when I went to college. when I settled in up there at FSU nobody played bass and everyone played guitar. Not a single guitarist could keep up. It made me very proud of my effort to really practice and try to do this the right way instead of ending up like one of those guitarists, but I cant tell you how frustrating it was playing with some of those morons.

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    When I was in college I got heavily into a singer named Michael Hurley. He's a "cult" artist, having made many records for Folkways, Warner Bros. and Rounder only to have them go out of print and become rare collectibles. I used to play the LPs I could find over and over again marveling at his songwriting.

Two years after graduating I met a guy who turned out to be Michael's manager and soon I was playing bass with Michael on his shows here in New England. After a few years of not hearing from him, he called me up out of the blue in 1994 and asked me to record his new album.

In 1995, this was released:

[​IMG]

16. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i'm just grateful to finally be able to express myself without having to talk to anyone.

17. Yadda Yadda ???!?!?

[​IMG] !!!!!

:D

18. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    brianrost: You didn't get any credit for the bass on www.allmusic.com... did they just miss you, or did you "ghost" on it, or...?

19. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Oysterman, cleaving a not-inconsiderable path through trolldom ... :D

20. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    :confused:

Brian's not a troll. I'm just wondering.