1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

for battery powered portable bass amp, suggestions and should i use a regular speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by talkbasslover, May 21, 2016.

1. talkbasslover

talkbasslover

May 21, 2016
    HI i want a battery powered amp to play in the park(not in a band). i already have a speaker 4 inch . also id like to be able to play a song from my mp3 and play bass over it.

1i though about using a speaker (from a regular home stereo 4inch ) and plug it in something you could show me(mixer maybe) .

2 or is there a decent bass amp i could buy directly

2. Roland Micro Cube might be the answer for you. Roland Micro Cube Bass RX Bass Amp The trouble with battery + small speaker is the voicing and speaker design has to be just right or the results are VERY bad. A home stereo 4" speaker is not going to cut it with a bass guitar, recorded and processed/compressed bass recordings are very different from a live instrument signal.

Welcome to Talkbass!

3. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    been really satisfied with my pignose hog 30

4. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I have a Microcube.. It is a good amp for what it does.. I was curious about the Pignose .

5. 3rdWatch

3rdWatch

Feb 9, 2009
    Escondido, Ca
    FreePlay Personal PA - Mackie

I picked up one of these, while not terribly loud, the bass response is amazing. You can play songs from you phone via Bluetooth, and control channel volume add effects from your smart phone.

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Blackstar Fly 3 Bass

Systolic and bebass like this.
  7. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    Don't know if they are still made, but Crate Limo was the best one for awhile

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Not much of a market for nust for "bass" portable powered speakers.
    But many battery powered PA systems/speakers available that work fine for bass.
    S600 Series Portable PA Solutions

9. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

The other bass player in my ukulele group uses a Pig Nose Hog, but it has it's limits outside. I have a Phil Jones Double Four bass amp that I used yesterday outside at a small festival with about 10 ukulele players, even with 70 watts and two 4" special design speakers, it wasn't doing it. I also have a Crate Limo (USA not China) that I used for a festival a couple of years ago, but that too had it's limits. They might be OK if the listener is within 20 feet, but any further, no.

I also have a new Carvin MB15 Neo Combo 200 watt amp that after yesterday, I've decided to use for any outdoor event, and last night I ordered a high output lithium battery, matching charger and a pure sine wave inverter so I'm ready if there's no power available.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  10. talkbasslover

talkbasslover

May 21, 2016
    1Roland Micro Cube is said to be farty. not wure what it means but has to do with sound. plus it is pricy..

2are you sure that a regular speaker with like a mixer couldn't do the job? sor of a thing like this:

3 what do you think about this

mpdd likes this.
  11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Living downtown, I see more Roland Micro Cube Bass amps on the streets than anything else. They are expensive but you pay for what you get.

For busking, a standup bass makes good loud sound.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  12. talkbasslover

talkbasslover

May 21, 2016
    what does buscking means?

13. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Performing on the street. I think it comes from England.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I know nothing about portable battery amps. Just swinging by to say welcome to TalkBass!

15. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    I will hopefully be ordering the Blackstar Fly Bass this week or next.

16. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
  17. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  18. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    I still use this:
    rv-dp100_front.
    It has a built in mic and instrument input and a programmable drum machine It uses a separate amp for the bass speakers on the end. It actually creates bass you can feel with the B string. It's old (note the cassette deck) and has been significantly updated by JVC since I bought mine.

Google "JVC bass boombox tube" to get started searching the new ones. They are a sleeper for bass players. I use mine with my acoustic/electric bass for "unplugged" events.

ERIC31 and seamonkey like this.
  19. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    This past Sunday a guitar player and I played a 1800 sq ft room and we used ALL battery equipment; an
    itty bity bass amp, an itty bitty guitar amp with both running off AA's and a single 100w PA speaker which has a rechargeable battery. The guitar player used just the amp but I used an A/B switch and ran to the amp and the PA cab, which was shared with a wireless mic.
    The result was I didn't even turn my very small bass amp all the way up and we carried the room quite well. Darn amazing to me.

Systolic likes this.
  20. talkbasslover

talkbasslover

May 21, 2016
    hi
    thx everyone

could you explain the terms in this sentence plz 1PA speaker which has a rechargeable battery. The guitar player used just the amp but I used 2an A/B switch and ran to the amp and the 3PA cab, which was shared with a wireless mic.