1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

? for Bernard Edwards disciples...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Cristo, Jun 13, 2007.

1. I'm wondering about his tone - it is such a pulsing, "burping" sound. I'm not talking about the chucking on Everybody dance, just the regular fingerstyle.

It seems like there is very little top end to the sound, but then he does that trademark octave thing (you know the one) and you can hear brightness on the G string.

I believe he played a Stingray, old strings, wasn't concerned with gear. I'm not looking to duplicate the equipment.

How does he get that "burpy" sound? Is it mostly a left hand technique - clipping the notes off quickly?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Isuspect it is right hand technique, and playing fairly close to the bridge too.

3. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I read somewhere an interview with Nile Rogers. Nile said that Bernard used his thump a great deal along with his index finger. That would explain the "chunky" sound he put down.

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i think it had to do with that "picking" technique he used in combo with the Pre-EB Stingray with Years (many, many) old strings on it.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021