Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FOR EBS OWNERS:EBS HD350, TD650 or FAFNER?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassophile, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Hi,

Last week I tried Fafner with EBS 1x15 and 1x10" cabinet (don't know model). I was amazed. But I want to try the other models of EBS heads. I have Jazz Bass '77 (few numbers from Marcus's fender in serial, and believe me, it sounds like his bass) and Cort A6 (six string) with Bartolini. I play mostly jazz/funk, fussion and i want a good amp. EBS owners, please tell me about your experience with EBS heads, which model to choose, regarding to my stile, I'm open for any suggestions.

Thanks

2. I don't have any extensive experience with EBS except what I've played in the shop - very nice tone and great tight sound - definately an excellent choice you can't go wrong with!!

I haven't tried the fafner, but I've been told it is one of the ultimate amps for slap style playing

3. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    First, you really go wright with ebs stuff!!! :bassist:

If ou have money take the td650 it s the ultimate head by ebs.
    You can choose the state channel to sound like the hd350 or the tube channel in order to sound as a fafner.

Back panel connections are more developped on this head.

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Here in the U.S. there were problems with frequent breakdowns initially and no one to really fix them. Great sounding amps but I'm personally not a fan of an amp, especially a mid power amp only getting it's full power at 2ohms. Which means you need to get two 4ohm cabs to get full power. Somewhat limits you cab options. Also running at 2ohms IMO is somewhat dangerous and may contribute to why there were such frequent breakdowns. Since Ohmage (is that a word?) is NOMINAL and fluctuates, which mean you COULD be running lower than 2 ohms while playing which can contribute to all sorts of problems and overworking the amp, which could lead to failure.

Great sounding amps. My choice sonically would be the 350. just a sweet sounding amp...

My $0.02

5. BassJaro

BassJaro

Jul 30, 2003
    I've played all three, and they're all superb amps, however my preference would be the TD650 if I could afford it. It can go from an extremely clean to a tube overdriven sound, and has the most tonal options of all three.

The HD350 is the most clean sounding head of the bunch (no tube in the preamp), and is basically a td650 with no tube and less watts (though it's still very loud, you barely hear the difference in volume when comparing to TD650).

Fafner, to my ears, sounds more vintagey (if you can say that about ebs) and has more tube warmth, which sounds logical, since you can't turn the tube completely off, like in td650. Definitely more colored sound, although the difference is slight. To me, it just didn't seem to be as articulate and precise as the other two.

I say TD650 > HD350 > Fafner.

Cheers.

6. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I love EBS stuff too :D 1st I got the 350.(just a little lack of power there. That's why Marcus uses 2 x 350)..and I tried the Fafner, I end up with the 650. I agree with the above posts...best of both 350 and Fafner is the 650. I got lucky and score a used one. Can't beat that!! :hyper:

7. HM... interesting! I heard that eq on td 650 is a little bit refined and more musical compared to hd 350. Any experiences?

8. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    Also check out the other EBS cabs, they all sounds very good, up there with the best...
    Go with the TD650, this amp can sound almost like the fafner with a little tweaking on the knobs, but the Fafner can`t sound like the TD650

9. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    I play the HD350 with the EBS 410. This is an incredible good match. The Character Filter fits perfect to the voicing of the 410. I have got my sound with only very little EQ. This is what i like. The EQ is very musical and the drive sound is very natural. I use it only to make my sound more warm and lively. The amp is perfect for Pop, R&B, Fusion, Funk and Jazz. If you want to play Rock and heavy stuff, I think the HD350 is not the right amp.

My Suggestion: Take the EBS 410 and the 350 if you only want to drive 1 Cabinet and save some bucks. If money is no issue get the TD650, but keep in mind that it has only 400 watt @ 4ohm and costs about 600 Euro more. If you want to drive 2 cabinets, take the TD650.

10. I'm digging my HD350 a lot now - I was hainvg a few doubts because I'd love something a little more hi-end quality-wise - but you CAN get a good range of tones - and sorry to post thi again but it's live recording where we took an XLR D.I. straight out of the amp head and into the desk - the recording was made with an iBook by taking a line out straight from the desk -and the bass has no effects or compression on - and it sounds pretty damn good:

http://www.munkio.com/music/Victor/All%20Directions.mp3

There's some slap but mainly it's fingerstyle all the way - should give you an idea of how the amp handles this kind of music and playing.

Hope that helps - I'd recommend these amps over a lot of other makes in the same price range - but it really depends what sort of music you play and the sound you need for your playing style.

M

11. I own the Fafner, and you can't go wrong with this head (with none of the EBS stuff actually). I don't like the HD350 that much, don't get me wrong, it's a great head, but the fafner is way better