Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For every EQ, there is a fool to use it.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    So I finally got a chance to really crank my new custom Walkabout I got a few months back, and was fooling with the EQ for about an hour or so. It occured to me that I was getting all the tone I wanted from the regular ol' bass, mid, and treble controls, and I wasn't touching the semi-parametric EQ. After fiddling with it, I discovered that I don't know jack about how to get useful tones with a semi-parametric EQ. This is my first amp with one of these things, but I don't feel that I even need to use it.

So my question is this: are you actually using your semi-parametric EQs (regardless of amp make)? How are you setting them? What sound are you shooting for?

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I like 'em simple.
    My amp has volume, bass, middle, and treble (ok, I have to admit there's a bright switch too which I have been known to use on occasion but rarely).

3. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    The more an EQ can be fine-tuned, the better.

I set it all flat and whenever I get a resonance or feedback I don't like, I cut as small a chunk of that frequency as I can...That is all.

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My amp has the slider thingies...

and I just make a smilie..

sometimes i start and end the smilie at the very top of where the sliders stop, and sometimes i start in the middle.

/im an ass

5. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I like simple amps too.

6. My BBE BMax has a semi-parametric mid control, and it is VERY useful.. you can notch yourself a frequency that allows you to sit perfectly in the mix. I don't think I'd ever want a preamp without this, after using it.

7. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    On some ampegs, which includes my svp-pro, there is a preset thingy that lets you select the mid frequency to be affected. I like this because I can get a good default tone, that is, one that I can slap with, and fiddle with the bass' eq. It can be pretty handy.

8. I would agree totally. I would never buy a preamp or head without being able to adjust the Mid frequency. I use it to much to get just the tone I want in different rooms/outdoors/ect.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've an SVP-Pro,and I just leave the mid selector on "one" and everything else flat. Same with my Eden, really.

My take is that the more twiddling you have to do to get your tone, the less the amp is "for you."

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I'm a big fan of fully parametric eq, and i really like my alembic superfilter
    a lot of times i cut the extreme lows that my cabinets cant reproduce, but not always
    i got for the "notch" frequency cut too, as well as finding the frequency in the middle that helps me cut at a particular venue
    after saying all that, i try to use eq as sparingly as possible - it's just cool to have a really effective one if you need it
    i think a fishman 2 band parametric eq or something similar would do most people fine if their favorite sounding amp didnt have much eq

11. My take is that the more twiddling you have to do to get your tone, the less the amp is "for you."[/QUOTE]

i have an ampeg V4BH and i have all controls on about 3-4 o´clock mid pos.3 (800hz) and i really like this amp. i seem to get this sound with some older guitaramps such as laney klipp, marshall superlead and 70´s V4 but mine has better bottom and that´s why i´ve kept it and cranked it. :D

12. My Sansamp ADI has a semi parametric mid that I find very useful. I go for a slight boost somewhere between 400-800hz for cutting into the mix.

I also have a 15 band graphic that I set flat almost all the time. It is only there to boost my signal to the power amp.

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I like it simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Notice little tune volume Box on top of the Rack :D

Then of course the wonderful Kern Pre in the rack!!

[​IMG]

14. I like "Kern" with butter and salt.

15. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I have a Mesa M-Pulse 600. The 5-band semi-parametric EQ can be switched in or out. I can get great tone just using the ol' bass/mid/treble in the preamp section. It's one of the things that attracted me to this amp. I use the EQ to fine tune for the room.

16. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    The simpler the better. Aguilar's DB 659 works well for me.

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've used everything from simple 3-bands to full parametrics. Once I learned not to overtweak, they're all good. What I look for in an EQ is the ability to overcome deficiencies in room acoustics. As noted, parametrics are very useful once you get past the learning curve.

If you're curious about the semi-PQ, spend some time experimenting with it. Use one band at a time, try boosting at different frequencies just to familiarize yourself with the numbers... eventually you'll recognize that 200Hz is growl, 1kHz can be honk, etc (YMMV, you'll have your own definitions for those terms). Once you get the hang of it, here's the neat trick: if you notice an annoying resonance peak, you can quickly dial it out by cutting at that frequency.

18. I like it with just butter.

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I dunno.... maybe the bass or the speaker cabs are to blame?

Twiddling can be cool even when you're happy with your gear. Back in my hard rockin' days I had a lot of fun dialing in some outrageous bass tones. Even today I'll twiddle when I need my axe to have the right tone for both classic rock and modern rock.

20. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Benjamin, on my Walkabout I use almost the stock setting for the "Huge and Round" sound in the Boogie manual and tweak from there with my Spector and Cirrus. I am closer to the "Driving Rock" setting with my p bass, it gives me an excellent Maiden sound. One of my good buddies went to school for sound engineering to be a sound tech and he has a good understanding of all that stuff. His input is always helpful. See guitarists are good for something :D