1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Geddy Lee worshippers only:)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SCUZMUZM, Sep 18, 2010.

1. SCUZMUZM

SCUZMUZM

Jan 13, 2010
    Morgantown WV
    Hey.
    I just got back from Pittsburg from watching RUSH. OMG what a great show. (Besides the drunk A@@holes sitting behind me)......Geddy's bass tone was amazing as always. I was wondering does Geddy actually use his signature Fender bass on tour? Ive read this somewhere, but, if he has an original 72 jazz i wonder why would he use a japan made copy, has he ever talked about it?
    I also cant stop wondering why hes never been known to use music man basses. i mean, his tone cuts through but the jazz bass alone without major tweaking does not where as a music man REALLY cuts through.
    Any opinions?
    Ive got a music man bongo and love it, but you know how it goes after seeing one of the "greats" play who's tone you love.....GAS
    (sorry this post originally had a point but i got involved in loose thoughts and forgot what it was;))

2. Sketchy

Sketchy

Jul 15, 2010
    Bristol, UK
    Haha, I know that feeling, man.

3. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Doesn't Geddy tour with his original '72 J?

4. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    because a musicman, at least in my experience, can not get the sound of a jazz bass with both pickup's on full. Geddy just probably prefers it. it's probably also a feel thing for him. I'd also be curious to hear his thoughts on it, though. I wonder how much searching and playing he did for instruments, or if he just played a Ric, liked it, bought it, and same with that jazz bass.

5. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    1 Fender Jazz Bass circa 1972
    2 Fender Jazz Basses circa 1996 (Custom Shop)
    1 Fender “Geddy Lee” Model Jazz Bass
    1 Fender “Jaco Pastorius” Jazz Bass Fretted
    1 Fender “Jaco Pastorius” Jazz Bass Fretless

This is right from rush.com

6. XsSpeed

XsSpeed

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I just saw them play saturday night in DC. It was a great show. Geddy's righth hand style is weird to me. Not anchoring the thumb for E string playing. He kind of just plucks it then anchors it for the ADG on the E.

Amazing stuff.

7. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    I don't really anchor on the E either. I probably picked that up subconsciously from watching so many Rush DVDs. It definitely looks cooler.... and then when he breaks into that flamenco crap, I envy his ability. Nobody plays like Geddy. And as for the reason this thread was started, I believe he uses the real 72 occasionally, but ACTUALLY prefers the feel of the Signature. The 72 has a much thicker/slower neck according to an interview I read somewhere. Although, I think you wouldn't really be able to tell anyway. It's all a mystery.

8. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    His tech was on here awhile back and said that he tried a MM or two during rehearsals/soundchecks for some shows (within the last decade, I think), and just wasn't finding his sound anywhere in there. At least he tried, huh?

(Am I the only one who thought the new PG and neck were just the sexiest additions to his bass? :ninja:)

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I see Geddy and I want a GL Jazz - I bought one and sold it later as I tend to prefer 5 strings. But it sounded great. My band even noticed and commented on that bass which is unusual as they are used to me having a different bass at just about every gig.

I see Jimmy Haslip and I want a 6 string. That is a little easier not to do.

It happens to all of us I think. That said, the GL Jazz is a GREAT bass. I've had thoughts of trying 4 strings again and buying back my GL from my drummer.

10. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    Musicman basses tend to get drowned out when you are playing really fast lines on the lower strings. at least from what I've found. That and they are bright as all hell.

11. I love MM basses, but I could certainly see why Geddy wouldn't use one. Would be a sound thing not playability thing. They are very bright.

The GL Jazz is a great instrument, I love mine though I think a set of Nordstrand NJ4's may get put in it eventually.

I'm pretty sure the Black with Tort guard is the GL Jazz that he plays, I'll have to watch the Snakes and Arrows DVD again, but I'm pretty sure you can see the sig on the headstock in a shot at one point in the show. Or maybe it was the R30 disk.

12. I never thought of that before. I had to sit and think about what I do with mine and now my question is: What the heck are you anchoring it on for the E? I use three fingers when I play on my right hand, and anchor on the E for ADG or EADG if using the % string, but float on the E or B depending on bass, so I don't know of any other way than not. I guess if you have a thumb rest.
    Thought how I played was normal.

13. I'm glad he busted out the old Ric for the history of Rash.

14. XsSpeed

XsSpeed

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    My main bass is a Gibson Victory and I made a thumbrest out of a dowel and used a longer pg screw. When I play my other basses, the pickup sticks out far enough to anchor on that.

I've saw a youtube video of a guy anchoring on the victory pickup but his style has the fingers nearer to the bridge and away from his thumb (he played behind the anchor spot). I play right under my thumb so the pu was too close.

15. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    So there was a dermatological theme?

16. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Last I heard, it's still the 72, but he replaced the neck with a signature one. The original was falling apart.

17. In 30 years just never paid attention to it. Just picked it up to see what I do and as soon as I get to the E my thumb comes off then for any other string it rests on the E. Interesting sometimes to sit and pay attention to the small things. hmmm

18. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Correct. I didnt catch them on this tour but on S&A, you could see on the HD monitors behind them that it was his old Jazz as it was pretty well worn in spots. He is pretty attached to that bass. I wish he would change things up but what do i know.

19. If I recall, but may be wrong on this - it is his original and that he had bought it in a pawn shop.

20. This.

There was an interview in BP last year where Geddy talked about it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021