Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For GK Users... the Boost Control

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gfab333, Apr 17, 2002.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    As many of you know, the GK bass amps all have a boost control. I've usually left mine off for the most part. preamp set between 10-12 o'clock and master on full.

I was recently told that running the amp with the boost control turned up will add a certain amount of growl to your tone. So ,I tried it, and I noticed that it did give the tone a little more agressive character. I emailed GK for a technical explanation, and here's what they said:

"The Boost control in our amps was designed to give you more even-order harmonics which is what a tube does when driven hard. We use JFET transistors which, when biased correctly, can give you the same even-order harmonics that a tube produces without the bulk and hassle of tubes. So your friend was correct, stating that it gives you more of a tube-style growl along with more tone and volume since it is an extra stage of gain."

What are your experiences and preferences with regard to this boost control?

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I think they also refer to that as "GIVE"-
    gate-induced valve technology.

I've had a 400RBIII for a couple years- the boost does just that- Striking a balance between the master & boost is one key to control I think.
    It's pretty cool- not a full-blown overdrive, but rather I think it adds an edge & bite to the bassline
    when you think it's appropriate.
    One thing I also like about G-K, including the boost, is that their active eq string is very responsive-
    Tweaking a very little bit adds a perceptible difference in the timbre to me.

I like the G-K enough in that I placed an ad to sell
    once & got a lot of replies at a nominal price,
    & just couldn't part with it-
    Their bi-amping is great- I toyed around on a 700RB
    combo, and man, it did the job.
    Good stuff!
    BTW- they have a "Diesel Dog" overdrive pedal that I believe is for full-on overdrive sound- Haven't heard it yet. may be very cool.

3. jamminji

jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    What is really cool is the gk 2000rb has 2 boost circuits and a footswitch that will switch between them! It also has an aux balance on the front that allows you to mix you effects dry to wet... very nice feature.

I don't have this, but gk also offers another (3 switch) footswitch that not only switches the boost but also bypasses the effects path to. I wish I had that footswitch!

The 3rd switch is just a tuning mute.

jam

4. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    When I visited the GK factory I got to try out the DieselDawg. It freakin' rocks!

It's huge, too. About the size of a couple car stereos stacked on top of eachother.

5. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    how did the diesel dawg sound? i know you said it rocks... can you give a little review?

6. I love the boost control on my RB2000. Its not a distortion pedal, or and SVT on steroids but it does add a little something. On my 2000 I have 2 boosts with a foot switch that really comes in handy to add a little beef and dirt when I need it.

7. jamminji

jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    Alright Gallient Knight, another happy GK2000rb'er...lol I knew there were some other happy players out there! hehe

jam

BTW... I just came back from a Tony Levin concert in a local bar outside Sacramento....WOW! What a show... What a bassist! He had two other members from Peter Gabrial's Band, and a really intimate setting... about 300 people.... cool

8. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I just got an MB500 and have only briefly messed with the boost control. Am I correct that when boost is engaged, the "master B" defeats the regular master volume (they don't work together)? And the "boost control" adjusts the amount of grit?

9. I have an early 400RB.
    I like to set my boost at about 9-10 oclock
    and turn it on with the foot switch to
    'kick it up' a notch for solos, loud rock
    in an other wise average set or for when the gui****
    decides he he gonna turn up the 100 watt stack.

10. My experience with the boost:

The key to getting the boost to work is having the input to the amp as high as possible without clipping.

Use something between your bass and the amp input jack to boost your level as high as possible, until the clip light flashes on the amp. Then back off a touch so the light is not on. I use the output gain knob on a compressor to do this. If you have a really hot or active bass you may not need this.

Next, have the "boost" control set at least to 12 o'clock, more=more grrrr. It also affects overall loudness.

Set the "volume" in the 10 to 11 o'clock range, depending on how much overdriven sound you want.

Adjust the "woofer" level to the volume you need.

I found the whole key was getting the signal level as high as possible going into the amp, just below where the clip light flashes. The volume knob does *not* control this level - it controls the level AFTER the clip light.

If your input signal is not very hot, like mine before I started doing this, the boost knob does not seem to do much to the tone other than make things a little louder. But once you get that level up, it gives you some nice growl.

Hope this helps.

*just noticed this thread was only 13 years old...*

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    danster likes this.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's the thought that counts.

danster likes this.