Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

? for GK800, 1001, 2001 etc owners.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Trevorus, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have a question for all of you GK owners. How do you get the growl. I am specifically running a MIA Fender Jazz DLX thru a 1001rb, a hartke 410xl and/or eden 210 MBX. Sometimes I run a squier p-bass with bartolinis, and will soon have a DeArmond Pilot Pro 5. Anyone gon any suggestions for the growly grinding cool tone. Not overdriven. You know what I mean. Thanks for the help

2. Going from left to right on the face of the amp I set the contour at 3 o'clock, presence at 8, five string lows engaged EQ flat, boost at 9 o'clock and master at 10. I use the volume to control the level. I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. I had intended to keep it at home for practice but it became my main amp pretty quickly.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Pretty kickin amps, aren't they? what model do you have?

4. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    After almost a year of messing around with these settings, I finally figured out the growl. It was really very simple, but I always started wrong by sucking out all of the mids and highs, and boosting the lows. What I do now on my 1001 is run ALL knobs strait up except for the master volume, which is very close to 3 o'clock. You also need to get the boost up just about as far, but it's personal preference to go from 1'oclock to wide open. Wide open is a ton of growl. start with your woofer and tweeter all the way down before you set your prevolumes, and then turn up as desired. Since my preamp is so hot now, I don't even touch the power of this amp. I don't think I was over 7'oclock on the woofer/tweeter knobs, which is almost off. It had tons of growl, and when played hard, was almost a bark, but not a sound of the woofer being over driven. it sounded great. Really gritty and dirty. You can even add just a touch of the low bass EQ if needed, but a little goes a long way. Try it and see what happens. there is so many ways to make this amp sound.
    Good luck,
    Wes

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I also forgot to mention, I use a Sansamp Bass Driver DI too.

6. Yeah. I've been loving my 1001. I'm tempted to rewire my cabinet to use the bi-amp feature but I'm not sure I really want to do that. It sounds pretty effin good like it is.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have thought about wiring a jack on my eden for biamp. I'll just have to cut another hole in the back for the speakon. Wouldn't be hard at all, but I don't know if I want to do that yet. I have no warranty on it. I dunno. Should I?

8. If your cab doesn't already have a Speakon connector, I wouldn't recommend it. I only say that because you'd have a tougher time getting rid of it if the time ever comes. My cab already has a speakon port but it also has a crossover and bulb-limiter for the tweeter. It's kinda neat looking actually, when I spike the highs you can see a light show coming through the edges of the speakers. It can't be good but does look neat. I just don't know if I really want to mess with all of that circuitry. I've never even looked at it.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'm an electronics wiz. Adding a speakon that goes directly to the drivers would be easy. All you have to do is parallel it with the crossover, but not thru it. The Gallien-Kruegers have a built-in crossover. I could also wire a protective fuse for it just like the crossover has. But illuminating the fuse is a bad thing. Definitely. Don't do that.

10. I never do it intentionally but it happens from time to time. It scared the hell out of me the first time I saw it. I would like to hear what my cab sounds like bi-amped though. I'm gonna have to think on this one.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, you're amp can handle it. What kind of cab do you have? I would love to be able to cut off the tweeter for distortion sounds so they won't be so harsh. Or crank it up for some solo work. Just not having to reach in the back would make life easier. My eden's tweeter could definitely handle the 50 watt amp from the GK. It'd seem pretty cool.

12. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    TMO33

For the growl, try pulling out the SABDDI. Mine was critical when I ran through a Peavey, but with the GK it has the opposite effect; the tone coloration doesn't add.

My settings (on a 1001 II through an Avatar 212 and 210) are:

Volume 11:00
    4/5 button in
    Contour 1:30
    Presence 1:30
    Treble 10:30
    High mid 10:30
    Low mid 1:00
    Bass 2:00
    Boost 5:30ish
    Tweeter off (I'm not using the tweeter amp right now)
    Master to taste

I get the growl with my p-basses. I run through a compressor.

Good Luck

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I am finding some growl!

Here we go:
    4/5 countour in
    contour at 3 o'clock
    Presence at 9
    treble at 12
    high-mid at 12
    low mid 1:30
    Low at 1
    Boost cranked
    tweeter down(not running biamp, so it makes no diff)
    woofer at 12

Sansamp:
    Blend full on
    level and drive at 12
    treble at 12
    bass at 1:30
    presence at 9.

And on the bass:
    Bass boosted just a tad
    Mids boosted a bit more
    Treble on neutral.

All put through an Eden 210MBX.

Growl city when played with a pick. Not as hard hitting with fingers, but it's still good.

14. Whats the difference between the 1001 II and the 1001?
    A bit offside question.. but anyhow?!

15. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    About 150 watts in the woofer section. tweeter amp are the same. The preamp is supposed to have a tube emulation feature in it as well. Other than that, they are about the same.

16. It's not tube emulation. It's FET saturation called G.I.V.E. (Gate Induced Valve Effect). Bob Gallien developed it over 20 years ago. Since then other companies have copied it and called it tube emulation. You control it with the boost knob on all GK amps.

The 1001RB-II has more power, quieter and improved circuit design, and a new look. It's also a touch warmer.

17. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have to agree with Daniel; It's a touch warmer. I also have a 700RB and I prefer the overall sound on the 1001RB II, although it's subtle.

18. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The growl that you're looking for can come from a combination of tone settings and gain settings. I leave the tone alone for now, because that's a function of the bass that you're playing and your personal tastes (if you're not using the same bass guitar as the guys who are posting their amp's tone settings, you may not get the same sound / tone).

Now, gain settings definitely bring on some growl with these GKs. You should be able to get some of the growl that you're looking for (not the overdrive fuzz kind) if you run the preamp volume higher than 11 o'clock - up to say 2 o'clock, and run the boost somewhere above 9 o'clock - I usually don't go past 12 oclock. The master is usually higher than 3 o'clock. I typically ended up using the boost or the master as my overall volume control. this works for me, just my two cents.

19. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You know what? I just realized I was using the preamp volume as my master. I always put the master on about 12, kick up the boost, and use the preamp volume. I have had this thing for a long while now, and I jsut figured that out! Thanks to gfab!

20. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    When I want the growly sound, I set the hi-mid and lo-mid all the way u (10) and adjust the remaining EQ to get rid of the low shakiness