? For Godin or Rob Allen Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mchildree, Jan 11, 2002.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I just snagged a nice Godin A4 fretless and am really, really digging the unique nature and tone of this thing. What I'm not really digging are the black tape-wound strings that are on it. Looking for recommendations from owners of similar Godin or Rob Allen instruments. What strings have worked well for you?
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My Godin came with steel flatwounds, not sure what they are. I've never changed them.

Current Godins come with D'Addario Chromes strings rebranded with the Godin name.
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    What about the strings don't you like? Just to help with alternates. Standard flats an option?
  4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Yeah, I was definitely planning on going with flats...I just don't like the way the tape-wounds feel (even though they sound fine). I wondered about what to use because I know that there are certain strings formulated especially for piezo-equipped acoustic basses...most of them with a synthetic core. This particular bass seems to be somewhat different, since it's piezo too, but it's not really an acoustic instrument per se. Would a standard flat like TI Jazz Flats work well with the piezos?
  5. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

My main performance (solo bass/loops) bass is my Godin A4. I just love it...but then, you probably read the review I had posted here, right?
    If you want to go with flats then I highly recommend TI flats. The low tension of these strings make it a perfect match for the Godin. On my own A4 I flip back and forth between TI JAzz Rounds and TI Acousticore (bronze alloy windings on a nylon monofilament core). You might want to try the Acousticores also, they really impart a unique character and highlight the Godin's original voice.
    I have used TI flats on my A4 with good results...but I do a lot of chording and multiple techniques so I need a bit more flexibility. The Acousticore strings provide that.
    It's good to hear a few of us have latched on to this incredibly expressive bass. I am just wrapping up the final mastering for my first solo cd and most of it was done with the A4 exclusively. It sounds great. The A4 is an incredible sounding bass with a great deal of versatility...and a very original and unique tone.
    So who else out there is playing a Godin?
  6. jackofalltrades

Jan 18, 2002
    My Godin A4 is the best thing since sliced cheese.
    I have the flatwound Godin (D'Addario) strings on it. No problems with tone or intonation. However, I've experienced a slight dead spot playing "D" on the "G" string. My friend has an upright bass - sometimes we have some bass duels. While the A4 can't sound exactly like an upright - Geez, if you try playing with your RH thumb resting on the end of the neck it comes pretty close !! Check out my review at harmonycentral.com