For Jaco Pastorius Fans

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Doublesixes, May 23, 2020.

1. I just found an old photo of the great late Jaco Pastorius and me (Jaco, center with juggling balls in hand, myself on the right and an older gentleman just passing by), chatting by the sidewalk of the Hotel Bauen, Buenos Aires, Argentina. Weather Report, The Stanley Clarke Band, John McLaughlin, George Duke and others were staying there for a few days after their concerts in Rio.

I had the privilege of acting as an English interpreter for those musicians and was granted the opportunity to hang with them during their visit to Argentina, playing some music in their rooms, taking them to Chinese restaurants and to specialty leather shops (Wayne Shorter was very interested in leather goods).

Stanley and George (Duke) were adamant about trying Argentine beef so I treated them to lomito (tri-tip kind of sandwich) at a nearby joint well known for that specialty. Stanley was great, so open and genuine. Great man, awesome player.

It was a magical time that I will never forget as I had a chance to interact with maestro Pastorius on a one on one basis, from bass player to bass player.

This took place in August, 1980 in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I hope you enjoy this emblematic and extremely rare photo.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  2. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Thank you for posting this!

Any more memories?

Dr. Cheese and Doublesixes like this.
  3. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Wonderful -- thank you for sharing the photo (more rare, when not everyone had a cell phone/portable camera/social dissemination device in-hand) and the background.

mikewalker, JimK and Doublesixes like this.
  4. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Very cool-thanks for sharing!

Doublesixes likes this.
  5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Zawinul penned "The Juggler"for him.
    Jaco liked to juggle.

6. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    Cool picture with a great story.
    I recognize the random passerby.
    downloadfile-1.jpg

7. Yes, there are a few. I will post them in the coming days. Thanks for the encouragement.

mikewalker likes this.
  8. So true. What I would've paid to have Jaco carve his signature on my Fender bass with an accompanying photo and video ;). It's really a miracle that this photo is still around. In those years carrying photo equipment was only reserved to the pros.

MarkA likes this.
  9. Hahahah...right out of the Muppets.

jchrisk1 likes this.
  10. I will try to explain why I think it's an emblematic photograph. It contains several icons that define what Buenos Aires was and still is: "El Sesenta" which is the bus in the background is there. That 60 line of buses is part of the Argentinian heritage. It's been running since the early years of the 1900s. There's also a Ford Falcon, the quintessential Argentinian car, cherished by all local motorists and lastly, the black and yellow taxis whose livery has been unchanged for almost a century. The fact that Jaco is adorning the composition just gives the photograph a whole new dimension. Whoever took this picture knew how to capture his candid, playful and cordial ways while at the same time giving an unquestionable geographic context to it. A real gift!

Later on, I will try to describe what I remember of that unforgettable performance of Weather Report playing the "Luna Park". I was very lucky that Jaco and his crew gave me a backstage pass so I could watch and enjoy the show very close to where the action was. More coming up.

mikewalker, jchrisk1 and MarkA like this.
  11. What a great song. Jaco's phrases are beautiful.

gebass6 likes this.
  12. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    nope, that’s Walter, one of Jeff Dunham's ventriloquist characters.

Doublesixes likes this.
  13. Good catch. I stand corrected. Thanks!

14. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    If it’s trivial and you don’t need to know it, I probably know it! Ha!

Doublesixes likes this.
  15. Paul New

Paul New Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    Just sticking this here. Maybe there are a few other people like me who were unaware of it.

Doublesixes and mikewalker like this.
  16. New York City

New York City Inactive

Jun 11, 2020
    New York City
    Jaco fans should check this out. Jaco & Mike Stern 55 Bar ‘84’

17. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Three Jaco threads in one morning, oh yes!

Thanks for sharing, tell us more!

Doublesixes and New York City like this.
  18. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    That recording is yours? Uau.

Do you have more? Is there a way you could share those Jaco recordings to download?

19. webspeare

webspeare

Nov 15, 2011
    NYC Metro area
    This recording is pretty amazing. I've heard tons of these club recordings and this is one that easily tops most in terms of Jaco's playing. I hope you share more if you have more, especially considering these were probably part of Jeff's private collection and are not widely available.

20. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    c82fbbb19257b6236f413a2f251d6923.gif
    I think you won TB today. Thanks for the awesome share!

Doublesixes likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021