1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Larry Hartke

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zombie1965, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Dear Mr Hartke,

Words can't begin to express the sympathy we feel on the untimely demise of your company. Hartke products will be missed by everyone that used them and loved them deeply.

I hope the expressions of sympathy that you must be receiving from everyone In the Uk and most of europe provide some consolation to you. Hopefully, knowing how much lots of us loved our Hartke's will give you a measure of comfort. Hartke bass amps were always popular with the dudes at band practice, on the gig and many men often spoke of its awesome tone and wonderful presence and power. They never had such a workhorse of an amp that inspired them the way the Hartke did; to go out night after night and entertain the masses....

Seriously though... What the hell has happened to Hartke's UK distribution?
    Hartke equipment used to be plentiful in many music shops across the UK, now its nowhere to be found. The products may as well not exist to us any more. WHY?

I needed a new driver for my XL cab... Nowhere can get one at any reasonable time frame. in the end, I was forced to buy a different make and moved to an ampeg cab. Im not happy with it, I dont like it.

My HA3500 could use a service, its working but somethings not quite right.....

I desperately want a new HA3500 head to replace my ageing one... I may as well dream on. I will probably have to buy something else very soon.

I've wanted to check out the TX series for at least 12 months but cant find one to try out anywhere.

Id like to check out the new LX Series Heads.... Im not holding my breath for one either.

It looks like music stores across the UK, Europe and online in general isn't any longer stocking Hartke.

ITS A DAMN SHAME!

murphy likes this.
  2. rogypop

rogypop

Jan 10, 2009
    Croatia
    Just checked the Thomann.de, they are low on stock too. What the hell happened?

Bassndrums73 likes this.
  3. Who knows. Hal Leonard is the distributor here. I can only assume they are ****.

The situation is worse than it seems.

I tried purchasing 3 HA3500's in the last few weeks including on from Thomann... There is actually none in stock in the warehouse and they cant actually give you a time when they will be. Hartke products have been absent in bricks and mortar shops for about 12-18 months and its getting worse.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2020
    murphy likes this.
  4. rogypop

rogypop

Jan 10, 2009
    Croatia
    Hope he will get his business back on its tracks soon, just thought few days ago about buying another lh500 for backup if the one I use ever fails or gets stolen as I just love that amp.

zombie1965 likes this.
  5. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Sounds like the problem is with the European/UK distributor. Hartke seems to be alive and well in the US. You might try contacting Hartke directly to see what's up.

EssEll, Stingray5, nbsipics and 6 others like this.
  6. I love my Ha3500. I do like the sound of the LH's but never got on with the tone stack EQ. Might be worth you keeping your eye on stocks as the ha's out there just faded away. wish i pulled the trigger 12 months ago now when i first started getting the odd issue with my currant one.

Yep i'd say its a Hal Leonard thing. apparently they have been the distributor since 2016. Id say mid 2017 i started noticing the products missing from the stores. I think Korg used to do it before. seemed fine

7. Artman

Artman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgetown, TX
    I don’t think they’re actually out of business. They appear to still be releasing new product. They just had demos at NAAM.

8. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Harke is owned by Samson Technologies....

SamsonTech

9. Im fully aware that they are fine in the US
    Yep and Samson stuff is far rarer in the stores too i've noticed.

murphy likes this.
  10. upload_2020-1-26_9-55-29.png
    Bax music were showing stock, I add to basket, rush through to checkout and instantly get the above. This isnt shown until you actually try to make the purchase. Its getting rather annoying.

From previous recent experience I bet if i go ahead and make this purchase, during the 8 days ahead, i will receive an email, confirming cancelling the order due to lead time on the amp.

11. Is it possible that Harte is a victim of the trade war that has been going on for far too long:poop:. I know that most of it is aimed at China but I thought it was also aimed at Europe as well. :meh:

murphy likes this.
  12. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    Maybe they changed distributors and the current distributor is trying to empty their inventory before the contract runs out.

13. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    Clever

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Nothing new here. In the USA, plenty of non-US amp brands have gone in and out of availability as distribution changed hands. Trace, Traynor/Yorkville, Orange and Vox off the top of my head.

tindrum likes this.
  15. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Yikes! Had me scared at first. I'd hate to hear that Hartke was gone. Hope they can figure out how to get them to Europe soon.

Bassdirty and Obese Chess like this.
  16. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Larry Hartke has done well for himself... considering he's been a disguised member of the Witness Relocation Program for several decades. :roflmao:

larry_hartke_founder_hartke_-_samson_technologies_corp-.jpg

kobass, nbsipics, murphy and 3 others like this.
  17. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

that hair... that mustache

Low84 and mindwell like this.
  18. Dr. Love

Dr. Love Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    I was in a music store in NYC a few years ago and ran into Larry (no question was him, he looked exactly like his picture) and had a quick chat with him. Very down to earth and humble guy who seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say. I hope they get everything sorted out with the distribution issues.

Sumaru and Artman like this.
  19. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Then I would lead with that in your post instead of making it sound like Hartke is generally out of business. Just a thought, it's how rumors that impact businesses start.

Mushroo, EssEll, petch and 13 others like this.
  20. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    I always feel bad for people when they buy boutique equipment or brand name stuff that uses proprietary parts that become no longer available, usually discontinued long before those proprietary parts are needed for a repair.

Unfortunately, when they become deemed not worth repairing, this contributes to the glut of electronics that ends up at the electronic recyclers, or much worse, in the landfills. Speakers with proprietary specs are the biggest offenders, but at least to someone who knows what they are doing, a suitable replacement can usually be found.

Now, I can certainly understand why manufacturers want to protect their intellectual property, but it should be made law that once they discontinue supplying replacement parts, the technical information be made available to the public. Unfortunately, in just about all industries, the capitalist mentality is to render everything obsolete and disposable, so that after a short, finite lifetime the consumer is essentially forced to buy a new device.

The only exception to this thought, is if something was discontinued and removed from the market due to safety issues, and rightly so.