Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

? for MIKE

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by FumandoV, Feb 22, 2005.

1. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    I was watching Bass Day '98 and was facinated by "Sugar". Is there a transcription or notation for this piece? I would really love to play this song on my own. Thanks......

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sorry - I'm not Michael - but "Sugar" is now almost a Jazz standard - I've played it many times with small Jazz groups - it was written by Stanley Turrentine and there are quite a few books which include it and you can find it online as well - like here :

http://laurasmidi.com/Sheet-Music-Tabs/Stanley Turrentine.html

3. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks and I found the Standard in the Real Book but there are things or variations in the chords that I don't get. Was the piece transposed? Maybe it's the feeling....

4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Bruce is exactly right, FumandoV. “Sugar” is a jazz standard that I learned many years ago. My arrangement of it is mostly improvised and I include chord substitutions and inversions as I feel them at the moment, but I usually do play it in C minor, which I believe is the original key.