1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

? for MIKE

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by FumandoV, Feb 22, 2005.

1. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    I was watching Bass Day '98 and was facinated by "Sugar". Is there a transcription or notation for this piece? I would really love to play this song on my own. Thanks......

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sorry - I'm not Michael - but "Sugar" is now almost a Jazz standard - I've played it many times with small Jazz groups - it was written by Stanley Turrentine and there are quite a few books which include it and you can find it online as well - like here :

http://laurasmidi.com/Sheet-Music-Tabs/Stanley Turrentine.html

3. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks and I found the Standard in the Real Book but there are things or variations in the chords that I don't get. Was the piece transposed? Maybe it's the feeling....

4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Bruce is exactly right, FumandoV. “Sugar” is a jazz standard that I learned many years ago. My arrangement of it is mostly improvised and I include chord substitutions and inversions as I feel them at the moment, but I usually do play it in C minor, which I believe is the original key.