Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For military guys...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lump, Mar 20, 2004.

1. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I made E-8, Senior Master Sergeant, first time out. Beer is on me. :cool:

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Awesome job, lump! That's just outstanding! I know you must be incredibly proud, and rightfully so. BIG Congrats to you.

(By the way, I plan on making master first time out - can I have your old stripes?:) )

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    -Not sure what it means aside from a higher rank? Congrats anyway from a civilian! :bassist:

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Awesome!

5. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Jon,

They're yours! You know what's scary? When I first joined TB in '99, I was a SSgt. :eek:

Bliss,

For me, what it means is that I can finally look forward to living somewhere besides Korea (8 years so far), since making E-8 takes me out of my specific specialty and puts me into a more general supervisory role. I was planning on staying until 2006 so my daughter can graduate from high school, but the promotion will probably change that. There should be no rush to move me though--the promotion is about 5 years early, which puts me at the bottom of the list (actually, third from the bottom). I won't actually put the stripe on until next March. My goal is to stay overseas in any case. The states are a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. ;)

6. WOW CONGRADULATIONS MAN!!!! major accomplishment, im not in the service... yet, but my neighbor is, he is an E9 :S he's been in for like 25 years (hes a recruiter)

7. *Salutes*

*attempts to play The National Anthem on bass*

8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Well, I've been out of the Army for 16 years now. That said....

Congratulations! So basically, you'll probably end up the equivalent of an Army first sergeant? That would be awesome!

One thing; how did you end up in one place for so long? I always thought the military liked to move people around after a year or so.
    Case in point; we had a staff sergeant in my unit at Fort Lweis, WA who had been there for 8 years. I was told that was only because of special circumstances.

Anyway, congrats on the promotion! Maybe we should start calling you Top? :)

Take care

9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Sorry for the typo-Fort Lewis.

Thats better

10. Congratulations!

Does the AF use the same type of points/ board system the Army does? Two pay grades in 5 years at the upper end of the scale is incredible! (regardless of branch :D ) I got my E-6 in 5 years, but I wasn't going anywhere after that anytime soon. A big, hearty congratulations!

11. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Beefbass,

I've been in Korea a total of 8 years, with 4 years this tour. I'm a translator, so my skillz are generally needed here. Right now I'm an operations Flight Chief, with about 50 guys working for me. At E-8 I would be the equivalent of an Army Master Sergeant, but not necessarily a First Sergeant. In the AF, First Sergeant is it's own specialty code, and can be filled by E-7 and above. I can fill in as First Shirt (aka "Under Shirt" or "Beeper B**ch"), but due to the critical manning in my career field, I can't really cross train into it. Definitely not "Top"--just Sergeant. :)

Golden Boy,

Yeah, it is pretty fast, even for the Army. ;) I've been lucky to be at the right place at the right time. And in the real world I'm not really anything like I am here. I can only handle so much of being a responsible adult. ;)

12. congrats keep up the great work

13. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Heh heh - Senior Lump. :D

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sounds like a hand puppet on Ed Sullivan* ... or a boxer from Barcelona.

Congrats, lump, great news.

*Caution: old folks reference;)

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Senior NCO"s have been some of the most enlightened people i have met, you have to know your people. Congrads maybe you can get another Sadowsky with you pay raise. :)

16. You just like the Overseas Pay, how much is it now? $15 a month? :D

I'll take Ft. Living Room any day of the week.

17. Congratulations Lump, from another military man. I'm currently an E-4 (Third Class Petty Officer) in the USCG, looking to make E-5 (Second Class PO) this fall.

18. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Lump, thanks for the enlightenment. Not sure about how things in the AF work. I know that an Army master sergeant E-8 is different from a first sergeant E-8, in the sense that the first sergeant has command authority. Same difference between an Army Sergeant Major E-9, and a Command sergeant major E-9. Is an AF E-9 called a sergeant major?

Almighty Bass-good luck on becoming a NCO. It is a very good thing to be able to achieve that.

19. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    An AF E-9 is a Chief Master Sergeant or Command Chief Master Sergeant.

Also Beef, the difference between a Sergeant Major and a Command Sergeant Major is the size of the unit being managed. (Smaller units are not authorized a CSM)

20. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I'll have you know my hand looks damn sexy with a blonde wig and lipstick on it. Believe me, I've done worse. ;)

Actually, it's your turf I'm trying to stay out of. I'd say it's about a 50/50 shot that I'll end up back at "The Fort" :ninja: or Langley though. See ya there..."Hon'." ;)

MM,

When I get the Sad I have now tamed, I'll think about getting another. :cool:

TGB,

You aren't far off--I'm getting a whopping $50/mo. in hardship duty pay. However, I am getting a crapload of COLA, which is a fairly recent development. Congress was pushing to make Korea tax-free like the desert, but the DoD lobbied against it due to the political ramifications (the ROKs weren't too keen on Korea being labled a "combat zone"). The bone they threw us instead was a big bump in COLA, even though there hasn't been a significant change in the cost of living. No prob--I'll take the extra $400 a month.

Almighty B.,

Good luck!