1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

? for Ohio Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MEKer, Jul 19, 2008.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    What city in Ohio has the most vibrant music scene?

2. Could you be more specific? Depends on what you are looking for.

Cincy definitely has a lot going for it. A lot of good original music that sometimes even leaks out. A very diverse array of styles as well. Now as far as actually making a living at it...

3. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    By vibrant I mean lots of places doing live music, open mics, etc. Seems so many venues close and there are fewer places seeking live performances than there used to be.

4. Just about any of the 3 bigger cities here in OH have plenty of places for playing, usually bars. But that's about the same anywhere you go, and it's more true outside of the cities where you usually won't see big name acts. Bars, etc... outside of cities tend to either rely on live music or pre-recorded stuff that every dj on the planet plays until you're sick of hearing it. Gas prices may hurt, but live music isn't dead yet.

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I would say that Cincinnati has a more active original music scene than Columbus. Can't speak for Cleveland. As others have said, you need to be a little more specific - original, cover, blues, rock, country, metal...?
    I'd say that any fairly large urban area or college town is going to have a lot of small venues. There's work to be had, but the money is probably not the best. The secret to gigging is to be self-reliant and efficient.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021