Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For oldPrecision lovers only

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, May 24, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    at www.ishibashi-music.com/index.html if you follow Fender Japan you'll see a new entry. the non slab '51 P is back!! no sting signature on the 12th fret and that right blonde colour. obviously not available here where i live...SD pickup, light ash body and usa hardware.
    wake up Fender USA!!!!

[​IMG]

specs:

'51 original precision bass

Body Light Weight Ash
    Neck Maple Oval Type
    Fretboard Maple One Piece , 20F
    Scale 432mm
    Pickups Bassline SCPB-1
    Bridge OPB Vintage (USA)
    Control 1Volume & 1Tone

2. Hey Marco, what's up? Now that's nice! I like the Sting bass, but I can't stand the "Sting" signature at the 12th fret. I prefer sunburst, but this bass does look nice. For some reason, I couldn't open the link you posted. Are these available in the USA?

Later,
    Mike J.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Those P's are way cool.

How do they compare soundwise to the regular P-bass?

4. WOW!!

I`m a real sucker for the classics and that P repro looks sweet! :) As B.W. mentioned,I wonder how the sound is?I like the Sting bass but have heard a lot of negative feedback about her. :(

5. Whoa! That is gorgeous! Thanks a lot Washburn26.
    Now are you happy that you gave me G.A.S.? :D

Mike J.
    Nice site.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I just played the '68 version of that bass, or so I was told. I didnt think they made that style P-bass in 1968. It was priced around $1,200 US

Well anyways, ITS AMAZING!. I wish the new ones had PU and bridge covers. They are sooo cool.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to ship one from Japan? Does anyone have any connections in Japan?

Peace
    Nick

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The '68 is known as the Telecaster bass, not to be confused with the early 70's Telecaster with the neck humbucker.

Confused?:confused:

:D

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thank you!

Thats exactly what was bothering me.

I knew of the 70's telecaster with the humbucker, but I had never heard of a 68 model. I was really suprised since it had a slab body since they stopped that on the P in 53(?).

I also noticed that it did not seem to have mutes under the bridge cover, and it seems that it never did.

It was cool though, and it sounde great.

Peace
    Nick

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I like the look of this bass. I like the fact that thy're putting a Duncan in her instead of a cheapo pickup.

I don't like that bridge!!!!! Cone on, :) You can't intonate it.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    While I havent heard the duncan pickuip, the old fender pickup has a great sound, that I wouldnt want to lose.

Yeah the bridge is a pain, but thats no big deal to change, especially since no one can see it with the covers on.

Peace
    Nick

11. That sunburst is nice! Not too fond of the white pickguard though. Does it come in sunburst with a black or tortoise shell pickguard?

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Just change the pickgaurd; it doesnt have any colectors value, and as long as you save the origional, it wont be a problem even if it gets some.

Of course mine (if I ever get one) will probably sprout some bridge and pickup covers and mute pads.

I still dont understand why everyone got rid of them. I think theyre the coolest, and dont get in the way anyhow. I guess I'd have to slap to know.

oh well

Peace
    Nick

13. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Does anyone know if the pickup and bridge covers are available? I'm really dying to get them to my '51 reissue....

:)

14. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    No, they aren't the same. For P-basses until 1956 (and for early Telecaster basses) they are different. The question is: does anybody make and sell them still? Or do I have to spend time and money finding vintage ones?

:rolleyes:

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I always see them on eBay.

Ive never looked at the price though.

Peace
    Nick

16. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA

Yeah Baby!!! I WANT!!!:D

17. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Mine is a beautiful MIJ from '95 or '96. I've had it for a couple of years, but it wasn't until recently I really started to appreciate the bass. It is a fantastic old-school finger funk axe, and records beautifully.
    I have decided to replace the original PU with a Duncan HOT model, for more push in the lower regions. It is a gorgeous, great sounding bass, that turns heads wherever it goes.

Hope you get your hands on one soon, Funkster!
    :)

18. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    The sting signature I tried sounded great. What have been the negative cooments about it? Is it the bridge?

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think the Sting bass has the same bridge as the original P-bass, which doesn't allow individual string intonation.

20. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I saw an original in mint cond in 82 for £800 at a guitar show (thats approx $1100). Couldnt afford it and I definately couldnt afford it now.